Primary school children helped to open the doors of supermarket chain Morrisons's new South Croydon store on Saturday.
Pupils from Normanton Road school St Peter's cut the ribbon on the branch convenience store M Local.
The store, at former site of the Red Deer pub, will create 20 jobs.
Wajahat Malik, store manager, said: "We’re really pleased to be bringing Morrisons M local to South Croydon and will work hard to be at the heart of the local community.
"We really want our store to be more than a place for fresh food, we want it to be a hub for local people and local events."
- Rail fare hike arrives on time unlike many trains
- A year of free rent for three lucky new Croydon businesses
- Southern rail passengers compensated four weeks' travel over operator's 'poor performance'
- Advice to 'drink plenty of water' when you’re unwell could actually be bad for you, doctors warn
- Parking free over festive period