Primary school children helped to open the doors of supermarket chain Morrisons's new South Croydon store on Saturday.
Pupils from Normanton Road school St Peter's cut the ribbon on the branch convenience store M Local.
The store, at former site of the Red Deer pub, will create 20 jobs.
Wajahat Malik, store manager, said: "We’re really pleased to be bringing Morrisons M local to South Croydon and will work hard to be at the heart of the local community.
"We really want our store to be more than a place for fresh food, we want it to be a hub for local people and local events."
- Teenager tried to abduct child from primary school for sexual abuse
- Girl with Down's Syndrome among vulnerable teenagers 'raped by three men'
- Four 14-year-olds arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after double stabbing in Crystal Palace
- Paedophile who offered victim £2 to take off her knickers guilty of rape
- Decision day in Meredith Kercher case appeal