Homes have been evacuated in Purley because of the flooding in the area.
Residents from a block of flats and a care home in Dale Road were helped out of their homes by Croydon Council and firefighters.
This was a precautionary measure due to water overflowing from the Bourne river.
Eighteen people are in a temporary rest centre at the council's headquarters in Bernard Weatherill House, Mint Walk, Croydon.
Four people made their own arrangements to stay with relatives.
The evacuation happened at around 12:30am this morning.
A council spokesman said: "This was a small-scale evacuation which went ahead very smoothly thanks to the help of the Fire Brigade and the Red Cross.
"Our staff have been working around the clock to provide information and assistance to anyone who needs it.”
- Athletes fighting to stop 'hammer blow' plan to redevelop Crystal Palace national sports centre
- Croydon battalion to march in homecoming parade after return from Afghanistan
- Surge in begging arrests after police crackdown in Croydon
- Alcoholism partly to blame for woman's death in Lewisham, coroner hears
- Police investigating after man hurt in major Thornton Heath fire