Homes evacuated in Purley due to floods
Homes have been evacuated in Purley because of the flooding in the area.
Residents from a block of flats and a care home in Dale Road were helped out of their homes by Croydon Council and firefighters.
This was a precautionary measure due to water overflowing from the Bourne river.
Eighteen people are in a temporary rest centre at the council's headquarters in Bernard Weatherill House, Mint Walk, Croydon.
Four people made their own arrangements to stay with relatives.
The evacuation happened at around 12:30am this morning.
A council spokesman said: "This was a small-scale evacuation which went ahead very smoothly thanks to the help of the Fire Brigade and the Red Cross.
"Our staff have been working around the clock to provide information and assistance to anyone who needs it.”
- Human bones found at house in Purley
- Inquiry opens into allegations nurses at £54,000-a-year school gave child overdose
- Boy with sore bottom wins payout after school bench gives him painful splinter
- Five classic Croydon videos from the last 100 years
- Croydon University Hospital scores worse than others in Care Quality Commission survey
Comments are closed on this article.