Homes have been evacuated in Purley because of the flooding in the area.
Residents from a block of flats and a care home in Dale Road were helped out of their homes by Croydon Council and firefighters.
This was a precautionary measure due to water overflowing from the Bourne river.
Eighteen people are in a temporary rest centre at the council's headquarters in Bernard Weatherill House, Mint Walk, Croydon.
Four people made their own arrangements to stay with relatives.
The evacuation happened at around 12:30am this morning.
A council spokesman said: "This was a small-scale evacuation which went ahead very smoothly thanks to the help of the Fire Brigade and the Red Cross.
"Our staff have been working around the clock to provide information and assistance to anyone who needs it.”
- 'His eye was pouring with blood and I thought he was a goner': Driver cradles moped rider after crash
- VIDEO: Film appeals to ethnic minorities to join bone marrow register in memory of Kevin Kararwa
- Hammer attack in South Norwood: Man charged with attempted murder
- Life imprisonment for man who killed girlfriend by stamping on her head after Facebook password row
- Serving army sergeant to stand trial accused of sexually attacking woman and girls in Cheam and Croydon barracks