Homes evacuated in Purley due to floods
Homes have been evacuated in Purley because of the flooding in the area.
Residents from a block of flats and a care home in Dale Road were helped out of their homes by Croydon Council and firefighters.
This was a precautionary measure due to water overflowing from the Bourne river.
Eighteen people are in a temporary rest centre at the council's headquarters in Bernard Weatherill House, Mint Walk, Croydon.
Four people made their own arrangements to stay with relatives.
The evacuation happened at around 12:30am this morning.
A council spokesman said: "This was a small-scale evacuation which went ahead very smoothly thanks to the help of the Fire Brigade and the Red Cross.
"Our staff have been working around the clock to provide information and assistance to anyone who needs it.”
- YELL CROY Short-changed Croydon schools to get £278 extra per pupil from Government
- Jail for burglar caught after public tipped off police
- Crystal Palace midfielder opens bookmakers
- Have your say on Wimbledon to Sutton Tramlink extension as four possible routes are revealed
- Death crash driver is just as much a victim as grieving family, mother says
Comments are closed on this article.