Nine elderly people had to be evacuated from their homes by boat this morning after flood waters came into their block of flats in Purley.
Four firefighters carried a bedridden man out of his ground floor flat in Foxley Hill Road, off Godstone Road, at about 7am.
He was then put in a boat and evacuated by the police.
Firefighters then got eight other elderly people out of their flats on the first and second floors of the building and they were also taken away by boat.
The decision was made to evacuate the building as water had reached the second step of the internal staircase.
- Father spared jail after crashing car and injuring children before assaulting ex-girlfriend
- These filthy restaurant pictures will put you off your dinner: The owner has to pay £24,122 for breaking food hygiene rules
- Croydon children told where they will be going to primary school
- Monks Hill Sports Centre is back in business and open for public use
- Lib Dem who opposed Sutton Council's incinerator plan suspended