Nine elderly people had to be evacuated from their homes by boat this morning after flood waters came into their block of flats in Purley.
Four firefighters carried a bedridden man out of his ground floor flat in Foxley Hill Road, off Godstone Road, at about 7am.
He was then put in a boat and evacuated by the police.
Firefighters then got eight other elderly people out of their flats on the first and second floors of the building and they were also taken away by boat.
The decision was made to evacuate the building as water had reached the second step of the internal staircase.
- Croydon battalion to march in homecoming parade after return from Afghanistan
- Surge in begging arrests after police crackdown in Croydon
- Alcoholism partly to blame for woman's death in Lewisham, coroner hears
- Police investigating after man hurt in major Thornton Heath fire
- Gang member who kidnapped men from homes and tortured them jailed for 20 years