Nine elderly people had to be evacuated from their homes by boat this morning after flood waters came into their block of flats in Purley.
Four firefighters carried a bedridden man out of his ground floor flat in Foxley Hill Road, off Godstone Road, at about 7am.
He was then put in a boat and evacuated by the police.
Firefighters then got eight other elderly people out of their flats on the first and second floors of the building and they were also taken away by boat.
The decision was made to evacuate the building as water had reached the second step of the internal staircase.
- New Addington man behind famous Christmas lights accused of further child sex offences and pornography charges
- EXPLAINED: The new 105 phone number and what else you should do in a power cut
- Croydon man jailed for stealing and defrauding Charlton employer out of £260,000
- Council to launch High Court legal action in bid to stop 'dangerous' Croydon Cruise
- CBeebies stars sign up for Croydon panto