Nine elderly people had to be evacuated from their homes by boat this morning after flood waters came into their block of flats in Purley.
Four firefighters carried a bedridden man out of his ground floor flat in Foxley Hill Road, off Godstone Road, at about 7am.
He was then put in a boat and evacuated by the police.
Firefighters then got eight other elderly people out of their flats on the first and second floors of the building and they were also taken away by boat.
The decision was made to evacuate the building as water had reached the second step of the internal staircase.
- Teenage girl missing for five days found safe and well in Tooting
- Sprinkling of snow falls in south west London and north Surrey
- Concerns growing for missing teenager last seen in Sutton
- Burglars punch elderly man and gag wife during break-in
- Urgent appeal to find soldier missing since January 11