Nine elderly people had to be evacuated from their homes by boat this morning after flood waters came into their block of flats in Purley.
Four firefighters carried a bedridden man out of his ground floor flat in Foxley Hill Road, off Godstone Road, at about 7am.
He was then put in a boat and evacuated by the police.
Firefighters then got eight other elderly people out of their flats on the first and second floors of the building and they were also taken away by boat.
The decision was made to evacuate the building as water had reached the second step of the internal staircase.
- 'Operation Juddering Climax': Boris promises Sutton tram extension in colourful sign-off message
- Croydon cat killer crusaders urge supporters to stop sending 'abusive' messages to Ricky Gervais
- MP Chris Philp 'fails to understand' how first home buyers cannot afford a £10,000 deposit
- History teacher at Leatherhead school has vision saved by revolutionary gene therapy treatment
- Reunited: Puppy back with family five months after being snatched outside New Addington supermarket