Nine elderly people had to be evacuated from their homes by boat this morning after flood waters came into their block of flats in Purley.
Four firefighters carried a bedridden man out of his ground floor flat in Foxley Hill Road, off Godstone Road, at about 7am.
He was then put in a boat and evacuated by the police.
Firefighters then got eight other elderly people out of their flats on the first and second floors of the building and they were also taken away by boat.
The decision was made to evacuate the building as water had reached the second step of the internal staircase.
- Croydon social worker suspended for threatening to 'smack in the mouth' four-year-old boy
- Former Croydon teacher charged with 17 child sex offences
- Police believe missing Epsom teenage sisters may be in South Norwood
- Interview: Ridley Scott’s son Luke prepares to hit the big time with directorial debut Morgan
- 'Oldest person in Croydon' dies aged 107