Rescue boats help evacuate elderly people from block of flats in Purley
Nine elderly people had to be evacuated from their homes by boat this morning after flood waters came into their block of flats in Purley.
Four firefighters carried a bedridden man out of his ground floor flat in Foxley Hill Road, off Godstone Road, at about 7am.
He was then put in a boat and evacuated by the police.
Firefighters then got eight other elderly people out of their flats on the first and second floors of the building and they were also taken away by boat.
The decision was made to evacuate the building as water had reached the second step of the internal staircase.
- Protest planned as hospital shut-down clause debated in Parliament
- 'Despicable' care home nurse stole thousands of pounds from 98-year-old resident
- Cash boost for flood-hit businesses in Kenley and Purley
- Housing scheme to launch Croydon sales programme
- Gas field in the North Sea named after New Addington brewery