Nine elderly people had to be evacuated from their homes by boat this morning after flood waters came into their block of flats in Purley.
Four firefighters carried a bedridden man out of his ground floor flat in Foxley Hill Road, off Godstone Road, at about 7am.
He was then put in a boat and evacuated by the police.
Firefighters then got eight other elderly people out of their flats on the first and second floors of the building and they were also taken away by boat.
The decision was made to evacuate the building as water had reached the second step of the internal staircase.
- X Factor's Marcus Collins is bringing solo tour to Croydon
- Croydon youth urged to make their mark
- Burglary suspect arrested after near nine-hour stand-off with police
- Man charged with murdering young father in Thornton Heath
- Crystal Palace footballers, cheerleaders and strippers take on the ice bucket challenge