Nine elderly people had to be evacuated from their homes by boat this morning after flood waters came into their block of flats in Purley.
Four firefighters carried a bedridden man out of his ground floor flat in Foxley Hill Road, off Godstone Road, at about 7am.
He was then put in a boat and evacuated by the police.
Firefighters then got eight other elderly people out of their flats on the first and second floors of the building and they were also taken away by boat.
The decision was made to evacuate the building as water had reached the second step of the internal staircase.
- SACKED: Racist police sergeant who 'deliberately ignored' reports of a fatal stabbing found guilty of misconduct
- Stop cold calls with a text OR use our 11 funny ways to deal with them instead
- Two companies likely to provide waste collection in four boroughs
- Croydon Council to 'urgently' look at road safety after death of cyclist
- Royal Philharmonic Orchestra to bring spirit of the Proms to Croydon