Nine elderly people had to be evacuated from their homes by boat this morning after flood waters came into their block of flats in Purley.
Four firefighters carried a bedridden man out of his ground floor flat in Foxley Hill Road, off Godstone Road, at about 7am.
He was then put in a boat and evacuated by the police.
Firefighters then got eight other elderly people out of their flats on the first and second floors of the building and they were also taken away by boat.
The decision was made to evacuate the building as water had reached the second step of the internal staircase.
- Detectives hunt tiny man in connection with Coulsdon burglaries
- Teenager drowns while swimming during family trip to Croydon
- UPDATE: Motorcyclist seriously injured crashing into 'woman crossing road'
- No fears of fresh Croydon riots despite police alert over gang violence, says top cop
- Missing boy, 15, found at friends house after two weeks