Nine elderly people had to be evacuated from their homes by boat this morning after flood waters came into their block of flats in Purley.
Four firefighters carried a bedridden man out of his ground floor flat in Foxley Hill Road, off Godstone Road, at about 7am.
He was then put in a boat and evacuated by the police.
Firefighters then got eight other elderly people out of their flats on the first and second floors of the building and they were also taken away by boat.
The decision was made to evacuate the building as water had reached the second step of the internal staircase.
- Estate agent stole clients’ bank details while showing them homes
- Croydon Boxpark has a new restaurant opening tomorrow
- This summer’s Croydon Food and Music will be the biggest ever
- Hotel evacuated due to fire in kitchen
- Watch the video that shows there could be something special waiting in the wings at Crystal Palace