Nine elderly people had to be evacuated from their homes by boat this morning after flood waters came into their block of flats in Purley.
Four firefighters carried a bedridden man out of his ground floor flat in Foxley Hill Road, off Godstone Road, at about 7am.
He was then put in a boat and evacuated by the police.
Firefighters then got eight other elderly people out of their flats on the first and second floors of the building and they were also taken away by boat.
The decision was made to evacuate the building as water had reached the second step of the internal staircase.
- STRIKES: Southern rail, Waterloo & City and Central line facing disruption this week
- 'Deaths could have been avoided': London Fire Brigade urges Londoners to check smoke alarms
- REVEALED: The 10 emojis most used by people in the capital
- Stormzy said Metropolitan Police kicking down his door was like something from a film
- Croydon man charged for trespass incident at Buckingham Palace