Nine elderly people had to be evacuated from their homes by boat this morning after flood waters came into their block of flats in Purley.
Four firefighters carried a bedridden man out of his ground floor flat in Foxley Hill Road, off Godstone Road, at about 7am.
He was then put in a boat and evacuated by the police.
Firefighters then got eight other elderly people out of their flats on the first and second floors of the building and they were also taken away by boat.
The decision was made to evacuate the building as water had reached the second step of the internal staircase.
- Tributes to beloved former mayor who lost cancer battle
- Teenager stabbed five times on Croydon tram by knifeman
- Driver seriously injured after car ploughs into tree and bursts into flames
- Man wanted in connection with unsolved sexual assault in Purley
- Award nomination for mother of teen murdered outside Streatham ice rink