Nine elderly people had to be evacuated from their homes by boat this morning after flood waters came into their block of flats in Purley.
Four firefighters carried a bedridden man out of his ground floor flat in Foxley Hill Road, off Godstone Road, at about 7am.
He was then put in a boat and evacuated by the police.
Firefighters then got eight other elderly people out of their flats on the first and second floors of the building and they were also taken away by boat.
The decision was made to evacuate the building as water had reached the second step of the internal staircase.
- Tube chiefs and unions in talks to avoid more strikes
- This 'wasted opportunity' could unlock space for thousands of new homes in London
- Friends pay tribute to 'loving grandmother' who died in South Norwood house fire
- UPDATE: More on its way? Flood and traffic warnings in place after first snow of 2017
- GALLERY: Your pictures of the first snow of 2017