Nine elderly people had to be evacuated from their homes by boat this morning after flood waters came into their block of flats in Purley.
Four firefighters carried a bedridden man out of his ground floor flat in Foxley Hill Road, off Godstone Road, at about 7am.
He was then put in a boat and evacuated by the police.
Firefighters then got eight other elderly people out of their flats on the first and second floors of the building and they were also taken away by boat.
The decision was made to evacuate the building as water had reached the second step of the internal staircase.
- Seven arrested in connection with Westminster terror attack
- Tributes paid to hero police officer killed in terror attack
- Red Nose Day 2017: Show us how you're having a laugh for Comic Relief
- IN PICTURES: Terror at Houses of Parliament as knifeman kills police officer and mows down pedestrians
- Four people, including police officer, killed as pedestrians are mowed down in Westminster terror attack