Nine elderly people had to be evacuated from their homes by boat this morning after flood waters came into their block of flats in Purley.
Four firefighters carried a bedridden man out of his ground floor flat in Foxley Hill Road, off Godstone Road, at about 7am.
He was then put in a boat and evacuated by the police.
Firefighters then got eight other elderly people out of their flats on the first and second floors of the building and they were also taken away by boat.
The decision was made to evacuate the building as water had reached the second step of the internal staircase.
- Croydon Council to outsource adult education services in face of Government cuts
- As it happened: all the action from Anthony Joshua's world title fight at The O2
- Mayor Sadiq Khan to London's EU migrants: 'You are welcome here'
- Driver escapes injury as car crashes into house
- EU Referendum 2016: As Britain votes to leave, how did your borough vote in south west London and north Surrey?