Rescue boats help evacuate elderly people from block of flats in Purley
Nine elderly people had to be evacuated from their homes by boat this morning after flood waters came into their block of flats in Purley.
Four firefighters carried a bedridden man out of his ground floor flat in Foxley Hill Road, off Godstone Road, at about 7am.
He was then put in a boat and evacuated by the police.
Firefighters then got eight other elderly people out of their flats on the first and second floors of the building and they were also taken away by boat.
The decision was made to evacuate the building as water had reached the second step of the internal staircase.
- Human bones found at house in Purley
- Inquiry opens into allegations nurses at £54,000-a-year school gave child overdose
- Boy with sore bottom wins payout after school bench gives him painful splinter
- Five classic Croydon videos from the last 100 years
- Croydon University Hospital scores worse than others in Care Quality Commission survey
Comments are closed on this article.