Do not lift manhole covers to get rid of water or clear trash screens along the route of the Caterham Bourne.
This is the message from Croydon Council which is asking people to leave these jobs to the professionals.
It said lifting manhole covers can cause problems further down the system and put more pressure on the different agencies working to prevent wider flooding.
And it says clearing trash screens is highly dangerous and should only be carried out by trained professionals.
Call 020 8726 6000 and choose option one if your property is being flooded or if you think a trash screen needs clearing.
- Free film festival offers programme for all tastes
- Mechanic vs developer in High Court fight for survival
- After year of dry taps and toilets Thames Water bosses quizzed about supply problems
- Knifeman hunted by police after he presses weapon against passenger's face and tries to rob him
- Police hunt flasher who 'pulled down pants and fondled himself' in front of young women on train