Police have closed a road in Whyteleafe due to faulty barriers at a level crossing.
Whytleafe Hill is shut in both directions after the barriers at the crossing between Hornchurch Hill and Godstone Road fell down.
Network Rail said it expected the road to remain closed until about 2pm while its engineers work on repairs.
Traffic is being diverted through Church Road and Salmons Lane.
Southern Rail some services between East Croydon and Caterham would be delayed while repair work was carried out.
- Crystal Palace urged to pay staff London Living Wage by Sadiq Khan
- Croydon mum to run distance between Gatwick and Orlando to raise funds for children's charity
- 'They've no compassion': Mother of severely disabled child's battle with council over suitable home
- Car tax is changing in April: Here's what you need to know
- UPDATE: 'vulnerable' missing mum and her two sons found safe and well