Police have closed a road in Whyteleafe due to faulty barriers at a level crossing.
Whytleafe Hill is shut in both directions after the barriers at the crossing between Hornchurch Hill and Godstone Road fell down.
Network Rail said it expected the road to remain closed until about 2pm while its engineers work on repairs.
Traffic is being diverted through Church Road and Salmons Lane.
Southern Rail some services between East Croydon and Caterham would be delayed while repair work was carried out.
- 'Catastrophic': Reaction as Heathrow Airport expansion gets go-ahead with government choosing third runway
- House damaged in Thornton Heath fire
- Case for Heathrow expansion 'stronger since Brexit' says airports review chief
- Police appeal after man suffers knife wounds in Thornton Heath mugging
- Which of these 10 takeaways should be named the best in south London?