Police have closed a road in Whyteleafe due to faulty barriers at a level crossing.
Whytleafe Hill is shut in both directions after the barriers at the crossing between Hornchurch Hill and Godstone Road fell down.
Network Rail said it expected the road to remain closed until about 2pm while its engineers work on repairs.
Traffic is being diverted through Church Road and Salmons Lane.
Southern Rail some services between East Croydon and Caterham would be delayed while repair work was carried out.
- Police 'increasingly concerned' for well-being of teenager missing from home for nearly a month
- Pregnant woman subjected to 'threatening and disgusting abuse' on Southern train
- Dodgy Croydon letting agent sent to prison for keeping clients deposits
- POLL RESULT: Big majority of you want to remain in EU as Article 50 triggers Brexit
- Surrey Street Market moves to new location