A man called the fire brigade after overrunning a bath.
Firefighters from Woodside station were called at about midnight last night to reports of flooding at a family home in Davidson Road, Addiscombe.
They found a man in his 20s, who lived with his parents, had turned on the bath taps and forgotten about them.
The fire crew switched off the electrics but no damage was done to the house.
Firefighter Jim Parrish said: "I think the son had just run a bath and forgotten about it.
"It was a bit silly really. They probably could have just mopped it up themselves."
- Shocking figures show how long you'd have to live to afford buying your first south London home
- Armed police to travel on the Tube for first time since 7/7
- Fewer mentally ill people being locked up in London police cells, figures show
- Christmas joy: Tube and rail workers could walk out at same time in combined strike
- 'Catastrophic': Reaction as Heathrow Airport expansion gets go-ahead with government choosing third runway