A man called the fire brigade after overrunning a bath.
Firefighters from Woodside station were called at about midnight last night to reports of flooding at a family home in Davidson Road, Addiscombe.
They found a man in his 20s, who lived with his parents, had turned on the bath taps and forgotten about them.
The fire crew switched off the electrics but no damage was done to the house.
Firefighter Jim Parrish said: "I think the son had just run a bath and forgotten about it.
"It was a bit silly really. They probably could have just mopped it up themselves."
- Political map of Croydon 'certain to change' in upcoming boundary review
- Lorry driver, 48, bailed after death of cyclist in Croydon
- Police officer who acted as decoy to catch prolific sex attacker dies aged 100
- 'Grave concerns' for boy missing with mother for a year as High Court judge issues appeal
- 'Complete and utter shambles': Tories slam Croydon Council's waste policies after 'frustrated' drivers stuck in queues for recycling centres