A man called the fire brigade after overrunning a bath.
Firefighters from Woodside station were called at about midnight last night to reports of flooding at a family home in Davidson Road, Addiscombe.
They found a man in his 20s, who lived with his parents, had turned on the bath taps and forgotten about them.
The fire crew switched off the electrics but no damage was done to the house.
Firefighter Jim Parrish said: "I think the son had just run a bath and forgotten about it.
"It was a bit silly really. They probably could have just mopped it up themselves."
- UPDATED: Sadiq Khan beats Zac Goldsmith to become the new Mayor of London
- Sadiq Khan set to lead majority Labour group as Ukip picks up first London Assembly seats in more than a decade
- AS IT HAPPENED: Our live coverage of the very long day when Sadiq Khan became Mayor of London
- Newsquest - publisher of this website - wins innovation award for digital advertising
- Police warn public after 'violent offender' absconds from Croydon University Hospital