A teenager knocked a police officer unconscious at East Croydon rail station while being arrested for alleged fare evasion.
The 17-year-old, from South Norwood, attacked a British Transport Police who had been called to the station at 6.47pm yesterday.
The officer was unconcious for five minutes following the attack, which left him needing hospital treatment for head and rib injuries.
The teenager was arrested and charged with assault occasioning acutaly bodily harm and fare evasion.
He is due to appear at Croydon Youth Court on March 20.
A British Transport Police spokesman said: "BTP officers were called to East Croydon rail station at 6.47pm on Thursday, 6 March to a report of fare evasion."
"During the incident, a BTP police constable was assaulted and received injuries to his head and ribs.
“He was transported to a local hospital by the London Ambulance Service before being discharged later the same evening, and has since returned to work."
- Life sentences for thugs who beat father-of-two to death in community centre attack
- Ghosts, screaming spirits and hauntings: Which are the most spooky places?
- Your guide to Halloween events across Croydon
- Send us your scariest Halloween pictures
- Street food revolution will move indoors when Surrey StrEatery launches with a bang