A teenager knocked a police officer unconscious at East Croydon rail station while being arrested for alleged fare evasion.
The 17-year-old, from South Norwood, attacked a British Transport Police who had been called to the station at 6.47pm yesterday.
The officer was unconcious for five minutes following the attack, which left him needing hospital treatment for head and rib injuries.
The teenager was arrested and charged with assault occasioning acutaly bodily harm and fare evasion.
He is due to appear at Croydon Youth Court on March 20.
A British Transport Police spokesman said: "BTP officers were called to East Croydon rail station at 6.47pm on Thursday, 6 March to a report of fare evasion."
"During the incident, a BTP police constable was assaulted and received injuries to his head and ribs.
“He was transported to a local hospital by the London Ambulance Service before being discharged later the same evening, and has since returned to work."
- Sports car spins on M25 near Leatherhead
- Driver in hospital after two cars crash in Selsdon
- Objectors could seek judicial review on controversial South Norwood Oasis Academy Arena school decision
- Sci-fi filmmakers turn Croydon College into a hospital
- Future Shorts film festival in Croydon for first time