The 50-year-old former Liverpool star put youngsters through their paces in a penalty shoot-out in High Street and dished out prizes for the best.
The silky-skilled sportsman was in town for a family fun day held by financial firm Western Union.
A steel band, face painting and games were also on offer.
- General Election campaigning suspended after deadly terror attack in Manchester
- Children among dead as death toll rises after Manchester bombing
- Croydon Central Hustings closed as a mark of respect for victims of the Manchester Terror attack
- Brad Pitt filmed his latest blockbuster War Machine in Croydon
- Prime Minister praises Manchester's spirit as she condemns 'callous terrorist attack' at Ariana Grande concert