Ronnie Corbett cracked some jokes and cut some turf when he visited a care home.
The comedian was the guest of honour at a turf cutting ceremony held to launch an appeal for the redevelopment of Hall Grange, Shirley Church Road, Shirley.
It is being remodelled to offer 45 en suite rooms and communal facilities, with a separate building of 23 apartments where elderly people can live independently.
This will come as a cost of £4m and MHA, the charity which runs the home, hopes to raise about £500,000 from the Hall Grange appeal.
Watch Corbett's hilarious anecdote about leaving a hotel worse for wear...
MHA’s head of fundraising Les Sudron said: “We hope people will give generously to the Hall Grange appeal and support us in our work to provide the best possible service for older people in the area.”
Call Mr Sudron on 01132 728470 or email Les.Sudron@mha.org.uk for details about the appeal.
- Croydon Village Outlet evacuated over gas leak fears
- Man grabs woman from behind and drags her along footpath outside Crystal Palace station
- Croydon Village Outlet to be relaunched under new name and ownership
- Pride of the borough celebrated at Croydon Champions 2014
- Train catches fire at Epsom