Campaigners who want to turn a former bingo hall in Crystal Palace into a cinema have managed to get the building listed as an asset of community value.
This means if Kingsway International Christian Centre (KICC) wants to sell 25 Church Road, communities that want it will have six months to put together a bid to buy it.
KICC bought the building from Gala Bingo in 2009 and Bromley Council refused the church permission to turn the former Rialto cinema into a place of worship at the end of that year.
A spokesman for Picture Palace Campaign, which wants the property turned into a cinema, said there is a prospective buyer which would be prepared to invest a lot of money into the site to turn it into a cinema.
- 9 facts about the M25 as Britain's biggest car park and the road to hell turns 30
- Conman jailed after spending spree with bank cards he tricked elderly Croydon women into giving him
- Woman charged with murdering pensioner in Croydon
- Shocking figures show how long you'd have to live to afford buying your first south London home
- Armed police to travel on the Tube for first time since 7/7