Campaigners who want to turn a former bingo hall in Crystal Palace into a cinema have managed to get the building listed as an asset of community value.
This means if Kingsway International Christian Centre (KICC) wants to sell 25 Church Road, communities that want it will have six months to put together a bid to buy it.
KICC bought the building from Gala Bingo in 2009 and Bromley Council refused the church permission to turn the former Rialto cinema into a place of worship at the end of that year.
A spokesman for Picture Palace Campaign, which wants the property turned into a cinema, said there is a prospective buyer which would be prepared to invest a lot of money into the site to turn it into a cinema.
- 'Oldest person in Croydon' dies aged 107
- New scheme to give London prisoners free books inspired by borrowed copy of Catcher in the Rye
- London will be hotter than Barcelona today as heatwave reaches its peak
- Detectives investigating fatal stabbing of Andre Aderemi find 'several knives' - but no motive for killing
- 'I never got to tell him how much I love him': Mum speaks of heartbreak after son knifed to death 10 minutes after she left him at friend's house