Ahmadiyya Muslim Community refuse to be deterred by British National Party campaign against possible mosque in New Addington

Ahmadiyya Muslim Community regularly do voluntary work, such as litter-picking

Ahmadiyya Muslim Community regularly do voluntary work, such as litter-picking

First published in News
Last updated
Croydon Guardian: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

A Muslim sect hoping to open a mosque in the south of Croydon has refused to be deterred by far right campaigners.

Ahmadiyya Muslim Community's wants a second base in the borough and has said it will not rule out New Addington as a potential location, despite vocal opposition from the British National Party.

The group, which wants to make it easier for members to worship, has also considered Shirley and South Croydon and held talks with Croydon Council earlier this year about using a house in Addington, although that proposal was thwarted by planning regulations.

Labour and Conservative politicians were last week united in condemnation of the BNP, which they said "sought to whip up fear and incite Islamophobia" by holding a meeting at Addington Community Association in opposition to the mosque.

Naseem Butt, regional president for the Ahmadiyya in south London, said opponents of the mosque were entitled to their opinion but had misjudged his community.

He said: "They have got every right to say whatever they like; everyone has that right. But I'm sure they misunderstand us.

"They believe every Muslim is the same and that is not right. We are peace-loving people. This is our land, we are very proud to be British Muslims and we are ready to do whatever we can for our country.

He added: "If there is the opportunity to have a place then that would be very good, but if there is not then it does not really matter. We are not the kind of people who try to force something upon people.

"It does not have to mean Addington - there is Addington, Shirley, Selsdon. If there is a reasonable place, then we don't mind." 

Mr Butt said the proposed mosque would serve the wider community and be available for hire by non-Muslim groups.

He added: "We would be more than happy to have that place and that place would be a beacon of peace and light for everyone, not only for our community."

Croydon Central MP Gavin Barwell, Labour's New Addington and Fieldway councillors and Greater London Authority member Steve O'Connell issued a joint statement last week criticising the BNP - who also organised a petition and street stalls to campaign against the mosque - accusing them of an "an opportunistic hate-driven campaign".

They said: "The BNP is seeking to divide this strong community and create tensions in a community where people from many different races and religions happily live together and support each other."

John Clarke, the BNP's Croydon and Sutton branch organiser, said: "The people of Croydon are sick and tired of being bullied by the very politicians who have turned their backs on our British communities.

"The Muslim community already has a mosque and Islamic Centre in Croydon, yet Labour and Conservative politicians are bending over backwards to give them with another."

The Ahmadiyya movement subscribe largely to the same beliefs as most Muslims, but differ over the role of prophets.

Its members regularly organise voluntary work, including an annual New Year's Day clean-up, and charity fundraising.

The group's existing mosque in the borough is in St Jame's Road, West Croydon. It wants to open a second base to avoid members having to travel long distances.

Would you welcome a new mosque in the south of Croydon? Post a comment below or email chris.baynes@london.newsquest.co.uk

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:52pm Thu 21 Aug 14

christhegoth says...

Good on them. This town is crawling with BNP, NF, & EDL; and they will do what they can to force people to leave the area. I've been targeted, as have others.

You have to push back, and grass them every time. And if The Law turns a blind eye you grass them too.
Good on them. This town is crawling with BNP, NF, & EDL; and they will do what they can to force people to leave the area. I've been targeted, as have others. You have to push back, and grass them every time. And if The Law turns a blind eye you grass them too. christhegoth
  • Score: -38

6:05pm Thu 21 Aug 14

Tony L Martin says...

Chris, When have you been targeted, how and by whom? You say report it but you have reported nothing to me. I am the South London Organiser for the National Front and I still have some contacts in the BNP.
Chris, When have you been targeted, how and by whom? You say report it but you have reported nothing to me. I am the South London Organiser for the National Front and I still have some contacts in the BNP. Tony L Martin
  • Score: 29

8:06am Fri 22 Aug 14

edstar says...

Tony L Martin wrote:
Chris, When have you been targeted, how and by whom? You say report it but you have reported nothing to me. I am the South London Organiser for the National Front and I still have some contacts in the BNP.
Are the NF still beating up kids and women when they are not fighting each other?
[quote][p][bold]Tony L Martin[/bold] wrote: Chris, When have you been targeted, how and by whom? You say report it but you have reported nothing to me. I am the South London Organiser for the National Front and I still have some contacts in the BNP.[/p][/quote]Are the NF still beating up kids and women when they are not fighting each other? edstar
  • Score: -23

12:08pm Fri 22 Aug 14

ummagumma says...

There's a nice site at the back of New Addington where a mosque could be built that would suit everybody, just by the pig farm. Simples!
There's a nice site at the back of New Addington where a mosque could be built that would suit everybody, just by the pig farm. Simples! ummagumma
  • Score: 14

12:09pm Fri 22 Aug 14

edstar says...

ummagumma wrote:
There's a nice site at the back of New Addington where a mosque could be built that would suit everybody, just by the pig farm. Simples!
it seems like your simple(s)
[quote][p][bold]ummagumma[/bold] wrote: There's a nice site at the back of New Addington where a mosque could be built that would suit everybody, just by the pig farm. Simples![/p][/quote]it seems like your simple(s) edstar
  • Score: -16

3:34pm Fri 22 Aug 14

nickp3462 says...

BNP were contacted by locals and asked if they could help. The locals are not happy about having yet ANOTHER mosque. The fact that the Conservative councillor and Labour joined forces against the 'evil' BNP tells me all I need to know about Labour and Conservatives. Incidentally, what is it that the Conservatives actually conserve ? - it certainly isn't our culture and heritage is it.
BNP were contacted by locals and asked if they could help. The locals are not happy about having yet ANOTHER mosque. The fact that the Conservative councillor and Labour joined forces against the 'evil' BNP tells me all I need to know about Labour and Conservatives. Incidentally, what is it that the Conservatives actually conserve ? - it certainly isn't our culture and heritage is it. nickp3462
  • Score: 22

6:10pm Wed 27 Aug 14

edstar says...

nickp3462 wrote:
BNP were contacted by locals and asked if they could help. The locals are not happy about having yet ANOTHER mosque. The fact that the Conservative councillor and Labour joined forces against the 'evil' BNP tells me all I need to know about Labour and Conservatives. Incidentally, what is it that the Conservatives actually conserve ? - it certainly isn't our culture and heritage is it.
So in other words, some racists called a group of racists. Fact.
[quote][p][bold]nickp3462[/bold] wrote: BNP were contacted by locals and asked if they could help. The locals are not happy about having yet ANOTHER mosque. The fact that the Conservative councillor and Labour joined forces against the 'evil' BNP tells me all I need to know about Labour and Conservatives. Incidentally, what is it that the Conservatives actually conserve ? - it certainly isn't our culture and heritage is it.[/p][/quote]So in other words, some racists called a group of racists. Fact. edstar
  • Score: -6

9:33am Thu 28 Aug 14

nickp3462 says...

To edstar: When an argument cannot be won or the opposition is mentally impaired, call the 'racist' card. Typical lefty trait that always exposes them for what they are. Time to pull out the 'racist' card again 'edstar' ?
To edstar: When an argument cannot be won or the opposition is mentally impaired, call the 'racist' card. Typical lefty trait that always exposes them for what they are. Time to pull out the 'racist' card again 'edstar' ? nickp3462
  • Score: 4

10:07am Thu 28 Aug 14

edstar says...

nickp3462 wrote:
To edstar: When an argument cannot be won or the opposition is mentally impaired, call the 'racist' card. Typical lefty trait that always exposes them for what they are. Time to pull out the 'racist' card again 'edstar' ?
what is the argument? that the bnp (racist by any definition) and its supporters dont want a mosque. please use your superior mental ability to correct me if am wrong.
[quote][p][bold]nickp3462[/bold] wrote: To edstar: When an argument cannot be won or the opposition is mentally impaired, call the 'racist' card. Typical lefty trait that always exposes them for what they are. Time to pull out the 'racist' card again 'edstar' ?[/p][/quote]what is the argument? that the bnp (racist by any definition) and its supporters dont want a mosque. please use your superior mental ability to correct me if am wrong. edstar
  • Score: -5

10:46am Thu 28 Aug 14

nickp3462 says...

Who the hell do you think you are 'edstar' calling anyone racist, do you not have any other vocabulary or is 'racist' the only word you know. Being against another mosque is not racist as it is an opposition to a religious ideology, not a race. The BNP is composed of many races now, so by definition it is not a racist party. Must be time for you to pull the 'racist' card AGAIN 'edstar'. Yawn . . .
Who the hell do you think you are 'edstar' calling anyone racist, do you not have any other vocabulary or is 'racist' the only word you know. Being against another mosque is not racist as it is an opposition to a religious ideology, not a race. The BNP is composed of many races now, so by definition it is not a racist party. Must be time for you to pull the 'racist' card AGAIN 'edstar'. Yawn . . . nickp3462
  • Score: 5

12:40pm Thu 28 Aug 14

edstar says...

nickp3462 wrote:
Who the hell do you think you are 'edstar' calling anyone racist, do you not have any other vocabulary or is 'racist' the only word you know. Being against another mosque is not racist as it is an opposition to a religious ideology, not a race. The BNP is composed of many races now, so by definition it is not a racist party. Must be time for you to pull the 'racist' card AGAIN 'edstar'. Yawn . . .
The bnp is composed of many races!!! hahahahah. Even you must know that this is a lie.
[quote][p][bold]nickp3462[/bold] wrote: Who the hell do you think you are 'edstar' calling anyone racist, do you not have any other vocabulary or is 'racist' the only word you know. Being against another mosque is not racist as it is an opposition to a religious ideology, not a race. The BNP is composed of many races now, so by definition it is not a racist party. Must be time for you to pull the 'racist' card AGAIN 'edstar'. Yawn . . .[/p][/quote]The bnp is composed of many races!!! hahahahah. Even you must know that this is a lie. edstar
  • Score: -4

12:54pm Thu 28 Aug 14

nickp3462 says...

edstar: The BNP was originally a whites only party, some years back, however in the last decade they have opened membership to all races and now have sikh's, hindu's, some chinese, japanese etc . . . I don't think the numbers of non British is huge but it has been steadily growing. So no, I am not lying, only telling things as they are NOW. OK.
edstar: The BNP was originally a whites only party, some years back, however in the last decade they have opened membership to all races and now have sikh's, hindu's, some chinese, japanese etc . . . I don't think the numbers of non British is huge but it has been steadily growing. So no, I am not lying, only telling things as they are NOW. OK. nickp3462
  • Score: 4

1:19pm Thu 28 Aug 14

edstar says...

nickp3462 wrote:
edstar: The BNP was originally a whites only party, some years back, however in the last decade they have opened membership to all races and now have sikh's, hindu's, some chinese, japanese etc . . . I don't think the numbers of non British is huge but it has been steadily growing. So no, I am not lying, only telling things as they are NOW. OK.
Fair enough. I didnt know that and tbh, i do find it hard to believe that people of colour can attend meetings where nazi salutes are given.

Either way, personally I do see what your issue is but you cant fight hate with more hate.
[quote][p][bold]nickp3462[/bold] wrote: edstar: The BNP was originally a whites only party, some years back, however in the last decade they have opened membership to all races and now have sikh's, hindu's, some chinese, japanese etc . . . I don't think the numbers of non British is huge but it has been steadily growing. So no, I am not lying, only telling things as they are NOW. OK.[/p][/quote]Fair enough. I didnt know that and tbh, i do find it hard to believe that people of colour can attend meetings where nazi salutes are given. Either way, personally I do see what your issue is but you cant fight hate with more hate. edstar
  • Score: -4

1:51pm Thu 28 Aug 14

nickp3462 says...

edstar: I have never seen REAL Nazi salutes done by anyone from the BNP, I've seen media manipulated pictures of someone waving in a crowd made to look like a Nazi salute ! (picture taken at just the right moment).
I personally know a number of Indians that regularly attend meetings and election hustings. I agree that hate shouldn't be met with hate, but in the case of the Croydon mosque application, it was all done under the radar without any proper local consultation. Locals should have a right to be heard, but that wasn't happening, hence the reason they sought help from the BNP who they knew would bring some publicity.
You obviously have your own opinion of the BNP, and to be honest given the way they have been portrayed by the media I'm not surprised you have the opinion you do, but please don't believe everything the media feeds you - most of it is simply untrue. I know many good, honest people that are BNP members that just want our own culture and heritage preserved.
edstar: I have never seen REAL Nazi salutes done by anyone from the BNP, I've seen media manipulated pictures of someone waving in a crowd made to look like a Nazi salute ! (picture taken at just the right moment). I personally know a number of Indians that regularly attend meetings and election hustings. I agree that hate shouldn't be met with hate, but in the case of the Croydon mosque application, it was all done under the radar without any proper local consultation. Locals should have a right to be heard, but that wasn't happening, hence the reason they sought help from the BNP who they knew would bring some publicity. You obviously have your own opinion of the BNP, and to be honest given the way they have been portrayed by the media I'm not surprised you have the opinion you do, but please don't believe everything the media feeds you - most of it is simply untrue. I know many good, honest people that are BNP members that just want our own culture and heritage preserved. nickp3462
  • Score: 4

4:09pm Thu 28 Aug 14

ummagumma says...

ROTHERHAM.
ROTHERHAM. ummagumma
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree