A seventh man has been arrested in connection with the murder of a man during the August riots.

Trevor Ellis was fatally shot on the night of August 8 as rioters ransacked Croydon.

At about 9.20pm officers discovered Mr Ellis, 26, in a car in Duppas Hill Road at the junction of Warrington Road.

The Brixton Hill resident was taken to St George's Hospital with a gunshot wound to his head, and was pronounced dead the next day.

Trident detectives arrested a 21-year-old man on Tuesday, March 13 in south London who was taken into custody at a south London police station.

He was later bailed pending further enquiries, returning on a date to be decided.

Officers continue to appeal for witnesses and information after a murder in Croydon.

An incident room has been opened under Detective Chief Inspector Neil Hutchison from Trident.

DCI Hutchison said: "Trevor Ellis was murdered on a night where Croydon, and in fact London, saw unprecedented levels of violence and disorder.

"I believe his killers were actively involved in looting and responsible for robbing at least two people that night.

“They thought nothing of arming themselves with a gun and ultimately taking a young man's life leaving four young children without a father.

"I want anyone who was in central Croydon that night who saw this group or may have images of them on their cameras or phones to come forward."

Mr Ellis had travelled to the Croydon area earlier on August 8 in the company of a group of friends.

It is believed the group got in a fight with a group of about nine people.

It ended in a car chase involving three vehicles which started in Scarbrook Road, Croydon, passing along the A232 flyover into Duppas Hill Road where Mr Ellis was shot.

Detectives are appealing for anyone who witnessed the pursuit which involved a dark coloured estate car and silver hatchback - believed to have been driven by the group of nine - and a dark coloured hatchback, in which Mr Ellis was a passenger.

Anyone with information relating to any aspect of the incident is asked to call the incident room on 020 8247 4553; if you wish to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.