Couple rescued from bedroom fire in Howden Court, South Norwood

Croydon Guardian: Couple rescued from bedroom fire Couple rescued from bedroom fire

Two people were rescued from their flat after it caught fire last night.

A man and woman in their 50s were led to safety by fire crews after their bedroom caught fire.

Fire crews were called to Howden Court, in Howden Road, at around 10.30pm last night.

They were both taken to Croydon University Hospital with smoke inhalation and the man suffered superficial burns.

One fire crew from Woodside and another from Norbury attended the incident along with three London Ambulance crews.

The occupiers did not have a working smoke alarm.

A spokesman from the London Fire Brigade said the cause of the fire was still under investigtion but it is believed it was caused by a candle.

He said: “If the occupiers did have a smoke alarm the damage to the property would have been a lot less.

“If they had had a smoke alarm it would have given them earlier warning of the fire.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree