Man injured after chimney collapses in Thornton Heath
2:24pm Friday 4th January 2013 in News
A man has been injured after a chimney collapsed in on itself at a property in Thornton Heath.
The man, believed to be in his 50s, suffered back injuries. He was treated by medics at the property on Whitehorse Road then taken to St George's Hospital.
London Fire brigade, London Ambulance Service and police attended the scene.
A spokesman for the LFB said the chimney stack collapsed to first floor level of the Assurance Nursing Employment Agency on Whitehorse Road.
LFB sent an urban search and rescue team from Croydon fire station.
A Transport for London said a surveyor from Croydon Council has deemed the building safe with Whitehorse Road scheduled to re-open in time for the evening rush hour.
The road was closed to traffic from Hogarth Crescent to Windmill Road whilst checks on the building were carried out.
The spokesman added that bus routes 50, 75, 157, 450, 468 and X68 are all on diversion until the road is re-opened.
Comments are closed on this article.