Man charged with theft after robbery at Ernest Jones jewellers in Central shopping centre, Croydon
A man has appeared in court charged with theft following a robbery at a jewellers in Centrale shopping centre.
The incident happened at 10.57am on Saturday in Ernest Jones, when a man armed with a hammer ran into the store smashed the cabinet and took some jewellery.
The man tried to escape, but was detained by a security guard until police arrived.
A spokeswoman for Ernest Jones said: "Our priority at this time is ensuring the health and welfare of our staff."
Rainis Poldme of no fixed address appeared at Croydon Magistrates Court this morning.
Mr Poldme, who turned 26 on the day of the robbery, is charged with theft and assault.
He was remanded in custody to appear at Croydon Crown Court on a date to be decided.
- VIDEO: Croydon Council does cabaret
- Family-of-five appeal for help getting own home and equipment for terminally ill baby
- Maggot found wriggling around in Kellogg's cereal bar
- Chamakh For Good: Football fan reworks Take That classic song for Palace striker
- Bah, humbug: Council reveals 64 job losses days before Christmas