Teens charged with manslaughter following Polish man's death in squat fire
Two teenagers have been charged with manslaughter and arson after a man was found dead in a derelict house following a fire.
The 14-year-old-boy and 16-year-old girl were arrested on suspicion of the offences in June and were charged by police yesterday.
About 35 firefighters were called to the blaze at the former Marine Society and Sea Cadets building in The Waldrons, near Davenant Road, at about 2.45pm on Monday, June 10.
The body of Polish national Sylwester Mendzelewski was found inside after the fire was extinguished.
The 35-year-old who detectives believe was sleeping rough in the building, was pronounced dead at the scene.
A post-mortem examination at St Helier Hospital gave the cause of death at smoke inhalation.
The teenagers, who can not be named for legal reasons, have been bailed to attend Croydon Youth Court on September 23.
- Croydon players suspended over football match fixing allegations
- Water company pledges to freeze bills for five years
- VIDEO: Palace fans 'hurled glasses at Brighton rivals' in mass brawl, court hears
- Three injured after bus crashes on Croydon Flyover
- Man killed in South Norwood road crash named as Alan Jepp