Former stray cat named Pet Survivor of the Year after suffering severe burns in sofa fire
A courageous cat who survived a fire in his makeshift home has been named PDSA Pet Survivor of the Year.
Former stray kitten Robbie took shelter in an abandoned sofa in the village of Ash, near Herne Bay, but this proved near fatal when the sofa was set alight and consumed by flames with him still inside.
Robbie, who was just six months old was rushed to Broadway Vets with severe burns to his face, head, legs and paws.
He has the tips of his ears missing and had to have his back leg amputated and had to undergo two skin grafts.
He received thousands of pounds worth of treatment, much of which was paid for by the local community after the vet practice published appeals in the local newspaper.
After the fire, Robbie was taken in by Gill Smith, a retired police officer from South Croydon, who saw his story in the newspaper when visiting Herne Bay.
Speaking about Robbie's win Ms Smith said: "I’m over the moon that Robbie has won PDSA Pet Survivor 2013.
"Robbie is a unique character and he still bears the physical scars from his fiery ordeal.
"The tips of his ears are missing, he has a ‘Mohican’ due to the skin graft on his head, and the toes on his remaining back leg were ‘melted’ together into a stump.
"But despite this he runs around the house like a rocket. He is a little hero, and his bravery and fortitude have inspired many people in the community."
PDSA Vet Elaine Pendlebury added: "Robbie is a truly inspiring story for us all."
- New scheme offers up to £30,000 interest free loans for Croydon social enterprises
- Send us your pictures of sunny London and Surrey as warm weather finally arrives
- Firefighters showcase rescue skills in Croydon
- London Fire Brigade warns over dangers of Vaportini drinking craze
- Croydon councillor who investigated Stephen Lawrence murder set for spotlight of new public inquiry
Comments are closed on this article.