Four-year-old taken to hospital after Broad Green kitchen fire

Croydon Guardian: Two fire engines attended the scene Two fire engines attended the scene

A young girl was taken to hospital after a kitchen fire last night.

London Fire Brigade and London Ambulance Service were called to Hathaway Road, off London Road, at 11.50pm last night to reports of a kitchen fire.

A four-year old girl was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene and then was taken to hospital for further treatment.

An LAS spokesman said they took a four-year-old to Croydon University Hospital. She did not suffer any ill effects and she was not taken as a priority.

Firefighter Tom Atkins, on Croydon’s bluewatch, said the fire was caused by a chip pan fire and was made worse when the four-year-old and her mother tried to put it out unsuccessfully.

He added that they also did not have a working fire alarm and said injuries could have been more serious if the fire had happened this evening when the LFB are on strike.

He said: “It is important that people make sure they have a working fire alarm in their house. Check the batteries regularly if you have got one so you can have good warning if a fire starts.”

Comments (0)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree