A 17-year-old schoolgirl is fighting for her life in hospital after being hit by a car last week.

Miriam Parker, of Carshalton, yesterday remained in a critical but stable condition six days after suffering serious head injuries when she was knocked down in Selsdon on New Year's Day.

Up to 60 family members and friends gathered on Sunday to pray for the recovery of the Archbishop Tenison's Church of England High School pupil, who is in an induced coma at St George's Hospital.

A family friend today said the teenager's "devastated" mother Davina had held vigil by her hospital bed for much of the last week.

Police arrested the driver of the car, a man in his 40s, on suspicion of causing injury by dangerous driving following the collision in Selsdon Park Road, near Tedder Road, just before 9pm. He was bailed by police on Thursday.

Paramedics took Miriam, thought to have been struck as she crossed the road at a pedestrian crossing, to the hospital's major trauma centre, where she has since undergone two operations to reduce swelling on the brain.

The teenager's eldest sister, Kirsty, wrote online: "The nurses and surgeons have been amazing. Please continue to keep her in your thoughts and prayers. We are devastated."

She added: "Mum is being really strong and is the glue holding everyone together. Miriam had had many of those closest to her visit over these past 48 hours.

"I picked up her favourite pug cuddly to be with her on her bed. She loves pug dogs."

The congregation at Wallington's Holy Trinity Church, where Davina is manages hall bookings, gathered to pray for Miriam on Sunday, while friends paid tributes to the "special" teenager online.

Danielle Cross wrote: "We are praying for better news and keeping Miriam in our hearts, thoughts and prayers. This is just so awful."

Becky Jones said: "Can't begin to imagine what you and your family are going through. I'm sure your strength will help to support her through this devastating time."

A driver who provided emergency first-aid to the teenager said he had struggled to sleep since witnessing the aftermath of the collision.

Tony Ridgeway, 53, of West Wickham, said: "I arrived on the scene within probably 30 seconds.

"As I got closer to the traffic lights at the pedestrian crossing I saw the car in front of me stopped at the green light, saw the cars on the other side, and then as a I got closer there was a body on the floor.

"Everyone was just standing around, I think basically in shock."

"I checked her airwaves, made sure she was breathing and basically just tried to get her as comfortable as possible. She was limp and lifeless.

"She was probably between 10 and 20 metres away from the actual vehicle so she had been thrown quite a bit."

He added: "I feared the worst. I did not sleep that night or much the next. When I heard that she was still alive, a breathed a sigh of relief. I am crossing my fingers that she makes it."

The Metropolitan Police is continuing to investigate the collision and asked anyone with information are asked to call 101.

Do you know Miriam? Call 0208 722 6351 or email chris.baynes@london.newsquest.co.uk.