The whiff of a spliff helped police officers weed out cannabis criminals near Crystal Palace Park yesterday evening.
At 10.30pm, officers were on patrol in Crystal Palace Park Road when they noticed a strong smell of cannabis.
They approached a detached house, where a man was placing large bags inside a wheelie bin.
The man saw the police and immediately ran off into Crystal Palace Park.
Officers entered the house and found it had been converted into a cannabis factory, with four large rooms set up with ventilating and heating equipment, and more than 500 fully grown cannabis plants.
The suspect was in the process of cropping and moving the cannabis out of the home when disturbed by police.
Enquiries are ongoing to trace the man.
- Exclusive: X Factor star in 80s car wash action
- Add a Banksy or a Damien Hirst artwork to your shopping list when gallery opens for business
- VIDEO: 'Slippery tracks' disrupt trains across south London in aftermath of Hurricane Gonzalo
- Hurricane Gonzalo not expected to devastate south London and Surrey
- Film festival organisers promise this year will be best ever