The whiff of a spliff helped police officers weed out cannabis criminals near Crystal Palace Park yesterday evening.
At 10.30pm, officers were on patrol in Crystal Palace Park Road when they noticed a strong smell of cannabis.
They approached a detached house, where a man was placing large bags inside a wheelie bin.
The man saw the police and immediately ran off into Crystal Palace Park.
Officers entered the house and found it had been converted into a cannabis factory, with four large rooms set up with ventilating and heating equipment, and more than 500 fully grown cannabis plants.
The suspect was in the process of cropping and moving the cannabis out of the home when disturbed by police.
Enquiries are ongoing to trace the man.
- Croydon will still get a professional panto in 2016 despite Fairfield Halls closure
- Comedian Jimmy Carr to be last performer at Fairfield Halls before closure
- WANTED: Police release mugshots of Croydon's top 10 fugitives
- 'His murder has been my main preoccupation for the last 30 years': Brother of private eye Daniel Morgan 'delighted' at podcast's success
- Violent rapist who tried to gouge the eyes of one of his three victims is jailed