Jury fails to reach verdict in trial of Stephen Dougherty and Paul West, accused of murdering Danny Gough in Woodside

Jury fails to reach verdict in Danny Gough murder trial

Danny Gough died in December 2010

Stephen Dougherty is accused of murder

First published in News
Last updated
Croydon Guardian: Photograph of the Author by , Senior Reporter - Croydon

A jury has failed to reach a verdict in the trial of two men accused of hacking to death a father-to-be in his bedroom in Woodside.

Stephen Dougherty, 35 and Paul West, 29, will stand trial for a second time accused of brutally murdering 24-year-old Danny Gough in front of his girlfriend in their Stockbury Road flat in December 2010.

Mr Dougherty, of Essex, and Mr West, of Slough, have been on trial at the Old Bailey since November.

But after a week of deliberations the jury failed to reach a majority verdict and were discharged by judge Christopher Moss this afternoon.

During the trial, the jury heard three men plotted Mr Gough's killing in a revenge attack during a feud of escalating violence.

Mr Gough is thought to have raided 32-year-old Sam Monteith's home and stabbed him in November 2010, following a fight between their friends.

Mr Monteith, of Brighton Road, Sutton, is accused of collaborating in the 24-year-old's murder but was deemed not fit to stand trial.

The trio of alleged killers were said to have meticulously planned Mr Gough's death in retaliation, tracking his movements before raiding his flat, where they are alleged to have thrown caustic ammonia in his face before slaying him with an axe or a machete.

A date for the new trial with a different jury has not yet been set.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree