A 16-year-old schoolboy has died after reportedly taking drugs at a party.
Daniel Spargo-Mabbs, a sixth-form student at Archbishop Tenison's Church of England High School, died yesterday afternoon after fighting for his life in hospital.
Russ Spargo, a family member, tweeted on Sunday: "Dan's only 16 fighting for his life. Went to a rave, took Ecstasy. V bad reaction. He's fighting for his life."
Last night he wrote: "Man down... Bless him Dan died about 12.50 We're all shell shocked."
Richard Parrish, headteacher at the Selborne Road school, yesterday cancelled sixth-form classes and wrote to parents to inform them of the news.
He said: "It is with great regret that I have to write and tell you that a student in Year 12, Daniel Spargo-Mabbs, was taken ill over the weekend and has died at lunchtime today.
"Since this directly affected every member of the sixth form we spoke to both Year 12 and Year 13 at the start of afternoon school and have cancelled lessons this afternoon.
"We are still taking in this terrible news.
"As you can appreciate this will have a significant impact on the whole school community this week and for some time to come.
"Please support Daniel’s family, his closest friends and the school with your prayers as we go through this together."
Did you know Daniel? Call the newsdesk on 0208 722 6351 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social housing tenants could be required to live in Croydon for three years before getting on waiting list
- Croydon's health services 'need fairer funding deal'
- Private developer takes over plans to build 500 homes on former council HQ site
- Man jailed for raping Thornton Heath mum as her kids slept in the next room
- REVEALED: Arlo and Ellie are hot - but what are the other most popular baby names in 2016 so far?