Firefighters were called to reports of smoke and found a fire in Pollards Hill this morning.
Two fire engines arrived at a block of flats in Montgomery Close at about 1.10am and crews wearing breathing apparatus ventilated the corridor to get rid of the smoke.
They found a pile of rubbish on fire outside the building and took about a minute to put it out.
- Pregnant woman subjected to 'threatening and disgusting abuse' on Southern train
- UPDATE: Man critically injured in Thornton Heath attempted murder stabbing
- Single machine blamed for 96% of gambling addicts' major losses
- Man dies in hospital after crashing car into a tree
- Croydon Tramlink suspended after early morning house fire - lines now re-opened