Firefighters were called to reports of smoke and found a fire in Pollards Hill this morning.
Two fire engines arrived at a block of flats in Montgomery Close at about 1.10am and crews wearing breathing apparatus ventilated the corridor to get rid of the smoke.
They found a pile of rubbish on fire outside the building and took about a minute to put it out.
- Thousands of children at schools across south London breathing dangerous toxic air
- Transport Secretary Chris Grayling warns Londoners to think twice about buying diesel cars
- Whose land is it anyway? Anger over 'filthy' fly tipping in conservation area that no one takes responsibility for
- Croydon NHS Trust removed from financial special measures but remains £30 million in the red
- IN PICTURES: Thornton Heath grime star Stormzy's impromptu gig this lunchtime