Firefighters were called to reports of smoke and found a fire in Pollards Hill this morning.
Two fire engines arrived at a block of flats in Montgomery Close at about 1.10am and crews wearing breathing apparatus ventilated the corridor to get rid of the smoke.
They found a pile of rubbish on fire outside the building and took about a minute to put it out.
- Council bosses call on the Chancellor to give Croydon more powers
- Man charged over Thornton Heath murder
- Mental health staff 'missed chances' to save mum killed by train
- Murder investigation launched in Thornton Heath after man 'tried to dump body in Thames' - two arrested
- High Court judge refuses Beddington incinerator campaigner permission to appeal