Firefighters were called to reports of smoke and found a fire in Pollards Hill this morning.
Two fire engines arrived at a block of flats in Montgomery Close at about 1.10am and crews wearing breathing apparatus ventilated the corridor to get rid of the smoke.
They found a pile of rubbish on fire outside the building and took about a minute to put it out.
- What's On: 17 reasons to go out this week in south London
- 'Hometown pride' of Croydon to be represented in new fashion label
- Tram services added to TfL tube map for first time
- Plan your tactics: Firms and staff urged to be flexible during Euro 2016
- New state of the art 'tech hub' opens in Croydon town centre