Firefighters were called to reports of smoke and found a fire in Pollards Hill this morning.
Two fire engines arrived at a block of flats in Montgomery Close at about 1.10am and crews wearing breathing apparatus ventilated the corridor to get rid of the smoke.
They found a pile of rubbish on fire outside the building and took about a minute to put it out.
- 9 facts about the M25 as Britain's biggest car park and the road to hell turns 30
- Conman jailed after spending spree with bank cards he tricked elderly Croydon women into giving him
- Woman charged with murdering pensioner in Croydon
- Shocking figures show how long you'd have to live to afford buying your first south London home
- Armed police to travel on the Tube for first time since 7/7