Firefighters were called to reports of smoke and found a fire in Pollards Hill this morning.
Two fire engines arrived at a block of flats in Montgomery Close at about 1.10am and crews wearing breathing apparatus ventilated the corridor to get rid of the smoke.
They found a pile of rubbish on fire outside the building and took about a minute to put it out.
- Exclusive: X Factor star in 80s car wash action
- Add a Banksy or a Damien Hirst artwork to your shopping list when gallery opens for business
- VIDEO: 'Slippery tracks' disrupt trains across south London in aftermath of Hurricane Gonzalo
- Hurricane Gonzalo not expected to devastate south London and Surrey
- Film festival organisers promise this year will be best ever