Firefighters were called to reports of smoke and found a fire in Pollards Hill this morning.
Two fire engines arrived at a block of flats in Montgomery Close at about 1.10am and crews wearing breathing apparatus ventilated the corridor to get rid of the smoke.
They found a pile of rubbish on fire outside the building and took about a minute to put it out.
- Pride of the borough celebrated at Croydon Champions 2014
- Croydon Village Outlet to be relaunched as Zervo by entrepreneur Clive Coombes
- Train catches fire at Epsom
- Knifeman jailed for 12 years for 'terrifying' attack on Coulsdon pub drinker
- Burst main affecting water supplies to hundreds of homes