Supermarket chain Aldi has won approval to build a new store at the site of the former Red Lion pub in Coulsdon.
A Croydon Council planning committee last night waved through proposals for the two-storey foodstore in Brighton Road.
The pub was demolished in 2004, since when the land has been used sporadically as a car park.
Aldi's plans resolve the future of a site, previously the subject of failed applications to open a hotel and build an apartment complex, widely considered to be an eyesore.
Nearly half of the 51 respondants to the planning application had objected, with some criticising the design of the store as jarring with the surrounding area.
But supporters, including East Coulsdon Residents' Association, hailed the proposed supermarket as part of the regeneration of the town.
Do you welcome the new Aldi? Post a comment below or email email@example.com.
- Croydon girl has starring role in Royal Institution Christmas lectures
- The Apprentice final showdown with Croydon's Bianca Miller hoping for £250,000 tights investment
- Elderly man hit by car in Caterham
- Crystal Palace FC urged to 'think again' over charging children to be mascots
- Council services for Christmas