The company which runs Kenley Water Treatment Works says there would be no immediate risk to water supplies if it floods.
Sutton and East Surrey Water has made preparations to re-route supplies from other sources if the plant has to be shut down.
And it has also treated water storage reservoirs in the area which will maintain supplies for several days and will mean there is no loss of supply even if treated water cannot be produced from the site in Godstone Road, Kenley.
Its employees are working 24 hours a day with the emergency services and Croydon Council to pump out the flood water.
There are also sandbags and other defences around key operating buildings and plant to protect them from the flood water.
- Sutton and Croydon's best and worst-performing schools revealed
- Woman fined for 'horrendous' dumping of rubbish outside her home
- Woolly Hat Day 2017: We want photos of you in your favourite cosy headgear
- Two wanted in connection to burglary and series of thefts
- REVEALED: Which companies do you think are keeping their customers most satisfied?