The company which runs Kenley Water Treatment Works says there would be no immediate risk to water supplies if it floods.
Sutton and East Surrey Water has made preparations to re-route supplies from other sources if the plant has to be shut down.
And it has also treated water storage reservoirs in the area which will maintain supplies for several days and will mean there is no loss of supply even if treated water cannot be produced from the site in Godstone Road, Kenley.
Its employees are working 24 hours a day with the emergency services and Croydon Council to pump out the flood water.
There are also sandbags and other defences around key operating buildings and plant to protect them from the flood water.
- Murdered student's mother speaks of acquittal shock
- Teenager tried to abduct child from primary school for sexual abuse
- Girl with Down's Syndrome among vulnerable teenagers 'raped by three men'
- Four 14-year-olds arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after double stabbing in Crystal Palace
- Paedophile who offered victim £2 to take off her knickers guilty of rape