The company which runs Kenley Water Treatment Works says there would be no immediate risk to water supplies if it floods.
Sutton and East Surrey Water has made preparations to re-route supplies from other sources if the plant has to be shut down.
And it has also treated water storage reservoirs in the area which will maintain supplies for several days and will mean there is no loss of supply even if treated water cannot be produced from the site in Godstone Road, Kenley.
Its employees are working 24 hours a day with the emergency services and Croydon Council to pump out the flood water.
There are also sandbags and other defences around key operating buildings and plant to protect them from the flood water.
- Mechanic vs developer in High Court fight for survival
- After year of dry taps and toilets Thames Water bosses quizzed about supply problems
- Knifeman hunted by police after he presses weapon against passenger's face and tries to rob him
- Police hunt flasher who 'pulled down pants and fondled himself' in front of young women on train
- Businesswoman battling Sir Alan Sugar in The Apprentice boardroom