The company which runs Kenley Water Treatment Works says there would be no immediate risk to water supplies if it floods.
Sutton and East Surrey Water has made preparations to re-route supplies from other sources if the plant has to be shut down.
And it has also treated water storage reservoirs in the area which will maintain supplies for several days and will mean there is no loss of supply even if treated water cannot be produced from the site in Godstone Road, Kenley.
Its employees are working 24 hours a day with the emergency services and Croydon Council to pump out the flood water.
There are also sandbags and other defences around key operating buildings and plant to protect them from the flood water.
- Man stripped naked and kicked to death in alleyway after trying to chat up one of his attackers, court hears
- Primary school plummets from 'outstanding' to 'inadequate' in four years
- Cousin of murdered Fico Dougan invites ex-gang members to share their stories
- Council to axe 500 jobs amid £93m funding shortfall
- Teenager to release single to raise money for ecstasy death friend's charity