Homes have been evacuated in Purley because of the flooding in the area.
Residents from a block of flats and a care home in Dale Road were helped out of their homes by Croydon Council and firefighters.
This was a precautionary measure due to water overflowing from the Bourne river.
Eighteen people are in a temporary rest centre at the council's headquarters in Bernard Weatherill House, Mint Walk, Croydon.
Four people made their own arrangements to stay with relatives.
The evacuation happened at around 12:30am this morning.
A council spokesman said: "This was a small-scale evacuation which went ahead very smoothly thanks to the help of the Fire Brigade and the Red Cross.
"Our staff have been working around the clock to provide information and assistance to anyone who needs it.”
- Nursery told to improve after allegation child was physically and verbally harmed by staff
- 'Robbing Peter to pay Paul': Council leader blasts Government funding decrease in angry letter
- Southern drivers suspend strikes ahead of new talks
- After Marmite panic comes courgette crunch: Supermarket supplies of veg run low
- Police 'extremely concerned' for welfare of missing woman known to frequent Croydon