Homes have been evacuated in Purley because of the flooding in the area.
Residents from a block of flats and a care home in Dale Road were helped out of their homes by Croydon Council and firefighters.
This was a precautionary measure due to water overflowing from the Bourne river.
Eighteen people are in a temporary rest centre at the council's headquarters in Bernard Weatherill House, Mint Walk, Croydon.
Four people made their own arrangements to stay with relatives.
The evacuation happened at around 12:30am this morning.
A council spokesman said: "This was a small-scale evacuation which went ahead very smoothly thanks to the help of the Fire Brigade and the Red Cross.
"Our staff have been working around the clock to provide information and assistance to anyone who needs it.”
- Detectives hunt tiny man in connection with Coulsdon burglaries
- Teenager drowns while swimming during family trip to Croydon
- UPDATE: Motorcyclist seriously injured crashing into 'woman crossing road'
- No fears of fresh Croydon riots despite police alert over gang violence, says top cop
- Missing boy, 15, found at friends house after two weeks