Nine elderly people had to be evacuated from their homes by boat this morning after flood waters came into their block of flats in Purley.
Four firefighters carried a bedridden man out of his ground floor flat in Foxley Hill Road, off Godstone Road, at about 7am.
He was then put in a boat and evacuated by the police.
Firefighters then got eight other elderly people out of their flats on the first and second floors of the building and they were also taken away by boat.
The decision was made to evacuate the building as water had reached the second step of the internal staircase.
- RMT rail union announces five-day strike in dispute with Southern
- Immigration arrests at Byron burger restaurants across London
- Vulnerable children in Croydon waiting too long to see social workers, warn inspectors
- Teenager rushed to hospital after being stabbed in Croydon
- ‘It’s OAP’s 11’ – The Hatton Garden Job's director and producer tell us what to expect from the film