Rescue boats help evacuate elderly people from block of flats in Purley
Nine elderly people had to be evacuated from their homes by boat this morning after flood waters came into their block of flats in Purley.
Four firefighters carried a bedridden man out of his ground floor flat in Foxley Hill Road, off Godstone Road, at about 7am.
He was then put in a boat and evacuated by the police.
Firefighters then got eight other elderly people out of their flats on the first and second floors of the building and they were also taken away by boat.
The decision was made to evacuate the building as water had reached the second step of the internal staircase.
- Parents fighting to get daughter home from hospital, 10 months after operation
- Crystal Palace to unveil new manager
- Bolt of lightning tears three holes in roof and takes out the phone line
- Travellers blamed as tonnes of waste dumped at Ashburton playing fields
- Commuters 'priced off trains' following latest inflation-busting rail fare rise
Comments are closed on this article.