Rescue boats help evacuate elderly people from block of flats in Purley
Nine elderly people had to be evacuated from their homes by boat this morning after flood waters came into their block of flats in Purley.
Four firefighters carried a bedridden man out of his ground floor flat in Foxley Hill Road, off Godstone Road, at about 7am.
He was then put in a boat and evacuated by the police.
Firefighters then got eight other elderly people out of their flats on the first and second floors of the building and they were also taken away by boat.
The decision was made to evacuate the building as water had reached the second step of the internal staircase.
- Police release image of man who tried to take child from school
- Fire tears through home - flats evacuated
- 772km running challenge in memory of boy who died after falling onto spinning propeller
- HMV to return to Croydon with new store
- Wandle Park among 13 Croydon green spaces named among UK's best
Comments are closed on this article.