Nine elderly people had to be evacuated from their homes by boat this morning after flood waters came into their block of flats in Purley.
Four firefighters carried a bedridden man out of his ground floor flat in Foxley Hill Road, off Godstone Road, at about 7am.
He was then put in a boat and evacuated by the police.
Firefighters then got eight other elderly people out of their flats on the first and second floors of the building and they were also taken away by boat.
The decision was made to evacuate the building as water had reached the second step of the internal staircase.
- Severe weather warning issued for London
- Scheme to tackle toxic air pollution to be rolled out in Sutton and Croydon
- Murder arrest: Man in custody on suspicion of shooting Akeem Moore in Croydon
- CCTV image released after man 'touched himself inappropriately' in front of female passengers on Croydon train
- Speeding laws are changing - and the punishments are about to get tougher