One of the most influential figures in the world of piano took time out from his globetrotting schedule to talk to Croydon pupils about his trade.
Master piano tuner Ulrich Gerhartz gave a talk at Trinity School about how he prepares concert grand pianos for performances in venues across the globe, working with the world’s top pianists including Mitsuko Uchida and Imogen Cooper.
And then the director of concert and artists’ services at piano maker Steinway and Sons was able to relax while four pupils played pieces on the school’s Steinway Model D Concert piano.
Trinity’s head of piano Richard Evans said: “It was a great privilege to introduce such an important figure to Trinity.
“Ulrich is a master technician and his enthusiasm for his craft is infectious.
"Four of our pianists performed beautifully to demonstrate the quality of our instruments.
“It was a very special evening.”
- UPDATE: Man dies after being hit by train at Queenstown Road station
- A man who died under police restraint could have been saved, a jury has been told
- A £10k reward is being put up to catch the Croydon Cat Killer
- A new primary school building for 630 children has been approved in Thornton Heath
- What an Inspector ‘took home' in just one week shows how tough it is to be a police officer in south London