Do not lift manhole covers to get rid of water or clear trash screens along the route of the Caterham Bourne.
This is the message from Croydon Council which is asking people to leave these jobs to the professionals.
It said lifting manhole covers can cause problems further down the system and put more pressure on the different agencies working to prevent wider flooding.
And it says clearing trash screens is highly dangerous and should only be carried out by trained professionals.
Call 020 8726 6000 and choose option one if your property is being flooded or if you think a trash screen needs clearing.
- Fatal Sutton motorbike crash victim named as Ronald Mayers from South Croydon
- Jury discharged in care home worker sex abuse trial after failing to reach verdict
- Army sergeant facing jail for raping and sexually assaulting cadets
- ELECTION 2015: 'Everyone wrote me off but I can prove them wrong' - Gavin Barwell on fighting for his job
- ELECTION 2015: How her babies' fight for life and a song from The Mikado shaped Labour's Croydon Central candidate Sarah Jones