Police have closed a road in Whyteleafe due to faulty barriers at a level crossing.
Whytleafe Hill is shut in both directions after the barriers at the crossing between Hornchurch Hill and Godstone Road fell down.
Network Rail said it expected the road to remain closed until about 2pm while its engineers work on repairs.
Traffic is being diverted through Church Road and Salmons Lane.
Southern Rail some services between East Croydon and Caterham would be delayed while repair work was carried out.
- Volunteers help clear 40 bags of rubbish from Norbury alleyway
- Cerebral palsy sufferer going for the chop to help friend raise £80,000 for life changing operation
- 'Dangerous' tram network under review in wake of coroner's warnings over death of cyclist
- Pizza robbers locked up for three years
- Travel chaos after burst water main in rail tunnel