Police have closed a road in Whyteleafe due to faulty barriers at a level crossing.
Whytleafe Hill is shut in both directions after the barriers at the crossing between Hornchurch Hill and Godstone Road fell down.
Network Rail said it expected the road to remain closed until about 2pm while its engineers work on repairs.
Traffic is being diverted through Church Road and Salmons Lane.
Southern Rail some services between East Croydon and Caterham would be delayed while repair work was carried out.
- Crystal Palace deadline day protest disrupts Sky Sports show
- Clubbers 'deliberately targeted' by hit and run driver
- Children to get say in parliamentary debate
- Killer brothers who went on the run to finally face their sentences
- Back to school safety campaign launched by Croydon police