A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- Disruption to train services across South West Trains network after faulty track
- Murder probe after man stabbed to death in Croydon
- Council spends £1,500 on 'Don't Mess with Croydon' t-shirts - and sells just 29
- Man stabbed in Thornton Heath
- Driver spared jail for killing mum-of-three as she collected her children from school