A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- It's the 100th birthday today of a lady who yearns to keep a chicken in her care home like the old times
- Croydon choristers singing their way to Rugby World Cup role
- Croydon cycling: Olympic champions including Team Wiggins set to race through town
- Serial con artist spared jail for 37 frauds - including scamming former prisoner of war out of thousands
- PICTURES: Arts quarter gets fresh spray of paint as gallery and shop opens