A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- Police 'increasingly concerned' for well-being of teenager missing from home for nearly a month
- Pregnant woman subjected to 'threatening and disgusting abuse' on Southern train
- Dodgy Croydon letting agent sent to prison for keeping clients deposits
- POLL RESULT: Big majority of you want to remain in EU as Article 50 triggers Brexit
- Surrey Street Market moves to new location