A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- Croydon Council leader brands campaign 'Tory Front' after being accused of abandoning post and sleeping in meetings
- How to beat norovirus: What to do if you get dreaded vomiting bug
- Southern loses High Court bid to block series of drivers' strikes
- Persistent fights and illegal drug use leads to closure of New Addington council home
- REVEALED: Most and least recycling-friendly London boroughs