A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- Croydon Council to 'urgently' look at road safety after death of cyclist
- RESULT! You can now stop cold calls to your mobile with a simple text message
- Man arrested after Thornton Heath gun bust
- Fires and fire deaths across London slightly up from last year
- Traffic: Crash causes delays on London Road into Croydon