A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- Croydon Council offers entrepreneurs free shop space in South Norwood
- Social housing tenants could be required to live in Croydon for three years before getting on waiting list
- Croydon's health services 'need fairer funding deal'
- Private developer takes over plans to build 500 homes on former council HQ site
- Man jailed for raping Thornton Heath mum as her kids slept in the next room