A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- 'Cyber Sultan' jailed for two-and-a-half years for sharing Isis terrorism video
- BIGGER THAN BREXIT: 11 other huge calls to reconsider if there's an EU referendum do-over
- Southern ranked worst rail company for passenger satisfaction
- Workers given written warnings for arriving late after using Southern trains, MPs claim
- Police shut busy South Croydon road after crash