A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- Weather warning blow to bank holiday weekend plans
- Croydon Poundworld had ‘out of control’ rodent infestation
- Here's how to get a free ride on the Tube next week
- Murder investigation launched after woman stabbed to death in street
- A six foot snake has been discovered in a Croydon alleyway