A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- Shocking figures show how long you'd have to live to afford buying your first south London home
- Armed police to travel on the Tube for first time since 7/7
- Fewer mentally ill people being locked up in London police cells, figures show
- Christmas joy: Tube and rail workers could walk out at same time in combined strike
- 'Catastrophic': Reaction as Heathrow Airport expansion gets go-ahead with government choosing third runway