A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- 'Help us bring Christmas to hospital for heart-op Danny'
- VIDEO: Winston McKenzie compares Ukip leader Nigel Farage to Jesus
- Man, 26, charged with grievous bodily harm after 'triple attack' in Waddon
- Police officers chase and catch 'knife-man' as he flees dock
- PICTURES: Police officers cook Christmas dinner for 53 elderly retirement flat residents