A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- Thornton Heath man cleared of murder over 'senseless' Dagenham stabbing
- Blind cheek: getaway driver who feigned sight loss to trick jury found guilty of shotgun shooting
- Considerably richer than you: the south London and Surrey links of Britain's millionaires
- After depression awareness week, what are the top 10 signs you need to watch out for?
- Care home worker denies seven year campaign of sexual assaults