A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- Croydon College turned into hospital by sci-fi filmmakers
- Future Shorts film festival in Croydon for first time
- Vicious Polish thugs 'hiding in Croydon'. Have you seen them?
- 'His eye was pouring with blood and I thought he was a goner': Driver cradles moped rider after crash
- VIDEO: Film appeals to ethnic minorities to join bone marrow register in memory of Kevin Kararwa