A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- POLL: More than half of Londoners admit to dipping their wick in the office goods. Have you?
- Fire breaks out in fourth-floor flat in Purley
- Popular nightclub to close and make way for football stadium redevelopment
- How will our area fare when Storm Dorris hammers UK with 80mph winds, heavy rain and snow?
- Jailed: 'Reprehensible' conmen who swindled elderly victim out of hundreds of thousands of pounds