A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- Back to school safety campaign launched by Croydon police
- X Factor's Marcus Collins is bringing solo tour to Croydon
- Croydon youth urged to make their mark
- Burglary suspect arrested after near nine-hour stand-off with police
- Man charged with murdering young father in Thornton Heath