A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- Man charged with sexually assaulting boys at one of UK's top private schools
- Stormzy solo show sells out in four minutes
- Crystal Palace transfer day: After Mutch excitement Pardew confirms Ameobi deal
- Shadow minister unveils sexual violence prevention plan after hearing about oral sex attack
- Croydon schools' grades suffer in 'nonsense' league tables