A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- 'Operation Juddering Climax': Boris promises Sutton tram extension in colourful sign-off message
- Croydon cat killer crusaders urge supporters to stop sending 'abusive' messages to Ricky Gervais
- MP Chris Philp 'fails to understand' how first home buyers cannot afford a £10,000 deposit
- History teacher at Leatherhead school has vision saved by revolutionary gene therapy treatment
- Reunited: Puppy back with family five months after being snatched outside New Addington supermarket