A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- Woman robbed by men who offered her lift in car
- Take a journey through history of the BBC in theatre show
- London Victoria services delayed due to earlier broken down train
- Pensioner racially abused betting shop worker and hit her with walking stick after she refused to let him use the toilet
- Trains through Norwood Junction returning to normal but trains to London Victoria are delayed