A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- REVEALED: The 10 emojis most used by people in the capital
- Stormzy said Metropolitan Police kicking down his door was like something from a film
- Croydon man charged for trespass incident at Buckingham Palace
- WEATHER: Spring is in the air as temperatures rival Mediterranean
- Two men who grew more than £100,000 worth of cannabis jailed