A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- Six arrested after 'illegal immigrants' found in lorry in Kenley
- Gun disguised as walking stick among weapons surrendered to Croydon police
- Nearly 300 unqualified teachers working in Croydon's classrooms as MP claims borough is 'test lab' for Government policy
- Extra workers drafted in to help keep Croydon clean
- Retired fireman facing trial for bludgeoning adopted son to death as friends pay tribute to 'genuine, happy guy'