Smoke alarm saves Ashburton family from washing machine blaze
A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- Croydon facing 'complex' health challenges, top doc says
- Tony Benn's granddaughter Emily to contest Croydon South election
- Firefighters tackle kebab shop fire
- Tips to keep your mobile phone safe
- Double shooting attempted murder suspect to appear at Croydon Crown Court
Comments are closed on this article.