A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- Westminster terror attack 'over within 82 seconds'
- Flat damaged and woman treated by paramedics after Norbury fire
- Don't forget to change your clocks this weekend
- Neighbours pay tribute to south London pensioner who was fifth person to die after Westminster terror attack
- Weekend weather: Sunny skies ahead for the capital