A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- 'Government must wake up to ticking time bomb', Croydon Council leader says
- Mad science with Albert Einstein
- Blue plaque for playwright RF Delderfield
- Met Police 'must improve' illegal rave handling, finds review
- Trio jailed over brawl at Tim Westwood gig that led to nightclub shutting down