A family’s smoke alarm saved their lives after their washing machine caught fire last night.
Beeping from the device woke them up at 11.30pm and they got out of their property in Long Lane, Ashburton, before firefighters arrived.
The crews were at the scene for about two hours and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Watch manager Danny Kelly, from Woodside fire station’s white watch, said: “The reason the family escaped and the damage wasn’t substantial was because of the smoke alarm as they were all asleep upstairs at the time.”
- Weather: Dry, warm and sunny spring day with maximum temperatures of 20 degrees celsius
- London Elects 2016: Everything you need to know as London gets a new Mayor and London Assembly
- 'It is a kick in the teeth to local traders': Croydon Council U-turns on manifesto promise to keep free one-hour parking
- 'Operation Juddering Climax': Boris promises Sutton tram extension in colourful sign-off message
- Croydon cat killer crusaders urge supporters to stop sending 'abusive' messages to Ricky Gervais