An unattended candle lead to a kitchen fire at a Woodside home.

The male occupant of the home in Woodside Green was alerted by a smoke alarm to the small blaze at about 11pm on Friday, February 28, and was able to get out of the house before firefighters arrived.

Fire crews from Woodside station in Addiscombe Road, were called to the scene at 11pm to reports of a fire in a kitchen.

A fire station spokesperson said the room was 20% damaged by the fire but no one was injured.

The spokesperson said: "A fire investigation team will be carrying out an investigation into what happened.

"The fire brigade do provide free smoke alarms for homeowners.

"Contact your local station for more information."