A man called the fire brigade after overrunning a bath.
Firefighters from Woodside station were called at about midnight last night to reports of flooding at a family home in Davidson Road, Addiscombe.
They found a man in his 20s, who lived with his parents, had turned on the bath taps and forgotten about them.
The fire crew switched off the electrics but no damage was done to the house.
Firefighter Jim Parrish said: "I think the son had just run a bath and forgotten about it.
"It was a bit silly really. They probably could have just mopped it up themselves."
- Croydon Council leader brands campaign 'Tory Front' after being accused of abandoning post and sleeping in meetings
- Detectives offer £10,000 reward for information in Headley pool party murder investigation
- Survivors of child sex abuse at Croydon children's home to publish report into historic abuse
- Get fit with these 11 exercise classes to try out this winter - for FREE
- Smoking mums-to-be: Figures reveal where in the capital most mums smoke during pregnancy