A Croydon Olympian was having lunch with paralympic star Oscar Pistorius when the South African fired a gun in a restaurant, a court was told.
Mr Pistorius, 27, is accused of killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine’s Day last year and is standing trial in South Africa.
Martyn Rooney, of Thornton Heath, is a 400m runner and is a training partner of the runner.
Boxer Kevin Lerena told the court on that the gun incident happened on January 11, 2013, at Tascha's restaurant in Johannesburg.
Mr Lerena said he was having a meal with Mr Pistorius, a man called Darren Fresco and Mr Rooney when he said Fresco passed a gun to the ‘blade runner’ under the table.
He told the court Fresco told him there was a bullet in the gun chamber.
Mr Lerena said a shot then went off.
The court heard they were confronted by the restaurant owner and Mr Fresco took the blame for the incident.
They then paid the bill and left.
Pistorius denies murdering Ms Steenkamp, 29, and says he shot her as she thought she was an intruder.
Rooney, a Crystal Palace fan and a former Olympic finalist, released a statement at the time of Steenkamp’s death through British Athletics.
He said: “My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of those involved.
“I will not be making any further comment on the events of this week and ask that this decision is respected."
- Sutton and Croydon's best and worst-performing schools revealed
- Woman fined for 'horrendous' dumping of rubbish outside her home
- Woolly Hat Day 2017: We want photos of you in your favourite cosy headgear
- Two wanted in connection to burglary and series of thefts
- REVEALED: Which companies do you think are keeping their customers most satisfied?