'Terrifying' robbery gang jailed for 71 years - thugs threatened Croydon victims with knives and hammer

Croydon Guardian: Kwasi Owusu-Amankwaa from Thornton Heath was sentenced to 10 years Kwasi Owusu-Amankwaa from Thornton Heath was sentenced to 10 years

Seven men who committed a series of violent robberies in Croydon in the space of a week have been jailed for 71 years.

The men threatened a couple in their seventies with knives and another man with a hammer during their robbing spree which police say terrified their victims.

They were sentenced at Croydon Crown Court on Thursday March 13 for the robberies which took place between March 23 and March 29 2013 in a range of addresses in Croydon.

On March 23 a couple were confronted in their back garden by masked men who threatened them with knives.

They then stole cash, jewellery and mobiles before driving away in the couple’s car.

Croydon Guardian:

Cameron Smith

Three days later on March 26 a man in his twenties was threatened with a hammer in Norton Gardens, Norbury, by the suspects who stole his Audi.

The following day the violent burglars broke into a man’s house in adjacent street Semley Road and then broke his jaw after he resisted the robbery.

They made off with mobile phones, jewellery and stole the victim’s car.

On March 28 a woman in her 50s heard a noise coming from the ground floor of her house in Turle Road at about 10.40pm.

She was confronted by six masked men with one of them holding a kitchen knife. The suspects stole mobile phones and a games console.

On March 29, a woman in her thirties was yards away from her house in Norman Road when she was confronted by a number of masked men. They stole her costume jewellery thendragged her towards her house where they told her to knock on the door.

Her family opened the door and fought off the suspects who didn’t manage to steal anything from the house.

Police caught one of the robbers, Cameron Smith, on March 29 after they found him driving a stolen Renault Clio which had been taken earlier that evening from a teenager.

After studying forensics police officers tracked down the other men and by July 2013 had charged all seven of them.

Kwasi Owusu-Amankwaa of Bensham Manor Road, Thornton Heath and Ohene Bamfo, of Christie Drive was sentenced to 10 years.

Croydon Guardian:

Cheick Cisse

Cameron Smith of Silverleigh Road, Thornton Heath was sentenced to six years whilst a 17-year-old from Surrey was sentenced to 7 years.

Owusu-Amankwaa, Bamfo, Smith and the 17-year-old juvenile pleaded guilty to conspiracy to rob at the start of the trial in January 2014.

Earlier in February, Cheick Cisse and Aurel Lunganyu, of Gillett Road and Tyler Williams-Clifford of Wickham Road, were found guilty of conspiracy to rob.

Croydon Guardian:

Ohene Bamfo

Cisse was jailed for 14 years and Lunganyu and Williams-Clifford for 12 years.

Detective Superintendent Simon Messinger from Police in Croydon said:"I am pleased with the results of this investigation.

"The victims were subjected to a terrifying experience and I hope that the sentencing today brings them some comfort.

"I also hope it sends a strong and clear message out to those who think that they will be able to get away with violent crime.

"We will pursue every avenue and will use all technology at our disposal to ensure that people are investigated, charged and brought before a court."

Croydon Guardian:

Aurel Lunganyu


TODAY'S TOP STORIES

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:19pm Fri 14 Mar 14

motomoto says...

A classic example of what happens when people that come from "Lawless society's" are allowed to stay in this country !
A lot of croydon is becoming a "no go" area because of this gangster rap rude boy rubbish !
Upon finishing their jail terms i think that the whole lot should be deported including smith who looks about as lively as a crash test dummy......only then will the victims get the true justice that they deserve !
A classic example of what happens when people that come from "Lawless society's" are allowed to stay in this country ! A lot of croydon is becoming a "no go" area because of this gangster rap rude boy rubbish ! Upon finishing their jail terms i think that the whole lot should be deported including smith who looks about as lively as a crash test dummy......only then will the victims get the true justice that they deserve ! motomoto
  • Score: -5

8:52pm Fri 14 Mar 14

ArfurTowcrate says...

Presumably the pictures were taken when they were arrested. They should take another set after they've been sentenced.
Presumably the pictures were taken when they were arrested. They should take another set after they've been sentenced. ArfurTowcrate
  • Score: 11

11:09pm Fri 14 Mar 14

Time to sleep says...

motomoto wrote:
A classic example of what happens when people that come from "Lawless society'sMost if not all of them are born here Motomoto, some of them no doubt have parents born here, or from countries that were once British,

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE, THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM AND YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT!! EVEN IF THE BNP OR EDL OR UKIP GOT INTO POWER, IT WOULD BE PRETTY HARD TO DEPORT UK CITIZENS BASED ON SKIN COLOUR YOU IDIOT.
[quote][p][bold]motomoto[/bold] wrote: A classic example of what happens when people that come from "Lawless society'sMost if not all of them are born here Motomoto, some of them no doubt have parents born here, or from countries that were once British, WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE, THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM AND YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT!! EVEN IF THE BNP OR EDL OR UKIP GOT INTO POWER, IT WOULD BE PRETTY HARD TO DEPORT UK CITIZENS BASED ON SKIN COLOUR YOU IDIOT. Time to sleep
  • Score: 34

10:33am Sat 15 Mar 14

G_Whiz says...

Great work by the Police, and decent sentences. But things will never change while crime is still though cool by many and the Liberal/Left still make appologies for thuggery!
Great work by the Police, and decent sentences. But things will never change while crime is still though cool by many and the Liberal/Left still make appologies for thuggery! G_Whiz
  • Score: 12

11:14pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Charlotte L says...

Immigration has been very bad for the UK.
Immigration has been very bad for the UK. Charlotte L
  • Score: -10

8:23pm Tue 18 Mar 14

KeeKeest says...

motomoto wrote:
A classic example of what happens when people that come from "Lawless society's" are allowed to stay in this country !
A lot of croydon is becoming a "no go" area because of this gangster rap rude boy rubbish !
Upon finishing their jail terms i think that the whole lot should be deported including smith who looks about as lively as a crash test dummy......only then will the victims get the true justice that they deserve !
I think you have blown the situation far out of proportion. Have you checked on their backgrounds. These hoodlums or whatever they may be could have been born in this country. You based your judgement off of racism. In fact, I'm ashamed to say I actually recognise some of them. And to an extent I get where you're coming from that if they weren't born here they should go home. But you are wrong to base your conclusion on the colour of their skin. I hope you're ashamed.
[quote][p][bold]motomoto[/bold] wrote: A classic example of what happens when people that come from "Lawless society's" are allowed to stay in this country ! A lot of croydon is becoming a "no go" area because of this gangster rap rude boy rubbish ! Upon finishing their jail terms i think that the whole lot should be deported including smith who looks about as lively as a crash test dummy......only then will the victims get the true justice that they deserve ![/p][/quote]I think you have blown the situation far out of proportion. Have you checked on their backgrounds. These hoodlums or whatever they may be could have been born in this country. You based your judgement off of racism. In fact, I'm ashamed to say I actually recognise some of them. And to an extent I get where you're coming from that if they weren't born here they should go home. But you are wrong to base your conclusion on the colour of their skin. I hope you're ashamed. KeeKeest
  • Score: 10

10:21pm Wed 19 Mar 14

motomoto says...

@ time to sleep and keekeest......would you have the same opinion if it was a friend or family of yours that was robbed by this scum ?.......i doubt it......neither of you have shown any sympathy for the victims......for some of the victims it could take years for them to deal with the trauma caused by this scum........my judgement wasn't based on skin colour but true fact that people that come from lawless society's think that they can get away with the same crap that they got away with in their own country's.......EDL and BNP do not influence my thinking, what i write is what i see.......there will be no future for these scum bags once they leave prison so therefore it makes perfect economic sense to deport them before they start breeding children who will then cost us tax payers more money in state benefits and housing........chanc
es are that they haven't paid a penny into the system anyway so there is no logical reason for them to be here !
@ time to sleep and keekeest......would you have the same opinion if it was a friend or family of yours that was robbed by this scum ?.......i doubt it......neither of you have shown any sympathy for the victims......for some of the victims it could take years for them to deal with the trauma caused by this scum........my judgement wasn't based on skin colour but true fact that people that come from lawless society's think that they can get away with the same crap that they got away with in their own country's.......EDL and BNP do not influence my thinking, what i write is what i see.......there will be no future for these scum bags once they leave prison so therefore it makes perfect economic sense to deport them before they start breeding children who will then cost us tax payers more money in state benefits and housing........chanc es are that they haven't paid a penny into the system anyway so there is no logical reason for them to be here ! motomoto
  • Score: 4

11:12pm Wed 19 Mar 14

ThEaLlSeEiNgEyEsEeSeVeRyThInG says...

motomoto wrote:
@ time to sleep and keekeest......would you have the same opinion if it was a friend or family of yours that was robbed by this scum ?.......i doubt it......neither of you have shown any sympathy for the victims......for some of the victims it could take years for them to deal with the trauma caused by this scum........my judgement wasn't based on skin colour but true fact that people that come from lawless society's think that they can get away with the same crap that they got away with in their own country's.......EDL and BNP do not influence my thinking, what i write is what i see.......there will be no future for these scum bags once they leave prison so therefore it makes perfect economic sense to deport them before they start breeding children who will then cost us tax payers more money in state benefits and housing........chanc

es are that they haven't paid a penny into the system anyway so there is no logical reason for them to be here !
The point is, is where exactly should they be deported to? The chances are they are British born and bread here. Your comment had racial connotations to it as they always do when you comment i.e 'gangster rap rude boy rubbish' who said that they listened to gangster rap? And although their crimes are disgusting they are still human and you nor I have ANY idea what life has dished them as to why they rob innocent people. The reason no one has mentioned the victims is because the disrespectful, judgmental and racist comments you made.
[quote][p][bold]motomoto[/bold] wrote: @ time to sleep and keekeest......would you have the same opinion if it was a friend or family of yours that was robbed by this scum ?.......i doubt it......neither of you have shown any sympathy for the victims......for some of the victims it could take years for them to deal with the trauma caused by this scum........my judgement wasn't based on skin colour but true fact that people that come from lawless society's think that they can get away with the same crap that they got away with in their own country's.......EDL and BNP do not influence my thinking, what i write is what i see.......there will be no future for these scum bags once they leave prison so therefore it makes perfect economic sense to deport them before they start breeding children who will then cost us tax payers more money in state benefits and housing........chanc es are that they haven't paid a penny into the system anyway so there is no logical reason for them to be here ![/p][/quote]The point is, is where exactly should they be deported to? The chances are they are British born and bread here. Your comment had racial connotations to it as they always do when you comment i.e 'gangster rap rude boy rubbish' who said that they listened to gangster rap? And although their crimes are disgusting they are still human and you nor I have ANY idea what life has dished them as to why they rob innocent people. The reason no one has mentioned the victims is because the disrespectful, judgmental and racist comments you made. ThEaLlSeEiNgEyEsEeSeVeRyThInG
  • Score: 6

4:51pm Fri 21 Mar 14

mabanwo says...

Sincerely these guys are a set of disgrace to black nations, especially in Africa. I wish they all die in jail. They dont deserve decent countries like the UK. They should be deported to Burundi after their jail terms. Idiots! May worms eat up your bodies soon.
Sincerely these guys are a set of disgrace to black nations, especially in Africa. I wish they all die in jail. They dont deserve decent countries like the UK. They should be deported to Burundi after their jail terms. Idiots! May worms eat up your bodies soon. mabanwo
  • Score: 2

2:01pm Tue 25 Mar 14

rivacre says...

These people should be hanged in Croydon town centre in full view of the public, that would stop this type of disgusting crimes being committed. I'm sure not many of you on here will agree with my comments but that's how I feel and believe me there are millions who feel the same way.
These people should be hanged in Croydon town centre in full view of the public, that would stop this type of disgusting crimes being committed. I'm sure not many of you on here will agree with my comments but that's how I feel and believe me there are millions who feel the same way. rivacre
  • Score: 7

1:26pm Thu 27 Mar 14

motomoto says...

Two very valid points made by both mabanwo and rivacre........well said both of you !
Two very valid points made by both mabanwo and rivacre........well said both of you ! motomoto
  • Score: 1

9:25pm Fri 4 Apr 14

Rickoe says...

Not that long ago, transgressors of a society's norms became outlaws. Often, they would be exiled to an island. We could do worse today. Enter into an agreement with Burundi or Rwanda, Ethiopia or Eritrea, to deport all our hardened criminal no matter what their skin colour to camps in these countries where they can live the same harsh lives under the same conditions as the locals.

After ten years, if their conduct has improved, then they can allowed to return to 'civilisation'. This worked for the Vikings and the Australian Aborigines.

We should learn from the old ways. Human nature does not change.
Not that long ago, transgressors of a society's norms became outlaws. Often, they would be exiled to an island. We could do worse today. Enter into an agreement with Burundi or Rwanda, Ethiopia or Eritrea, to deport all our hardened criminal no matter what their skin colour to camps in these countries where they can live the same harsh lives under the same conditions as the locals. After ten years, if their conduct has improved, then they can allowed to return to 'civilisation'. This worked for the Vikings and the Australian Aborigines. We should learn from the old ways. Human nature does not change. Rickoe
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree