Labour leader Tony Newman has demanded an investigation into the "farce" at Croydon Village Outlet that has seen retailers go unpaid for weeks.
Coun Newman asked the council to consider compiling a report on the struggling department store after a report in the Croydon Guardian about concessions not receiving money from sales, a situation staff last week branded "a shambles".
He told this week's full council meeting: "Given the reports of people not being paid and the general decline of Croydon Village Outlet, I would ask the council to consider drawing up a full report on what is happening."
Council leader Mike Fisher echoed the Labour leader's concern about the store, but added: "This is a matter for the people who own Croydon Village Outlet and the people who trade in it."
Several retailers this month abandoned their concessions within the town-centre department store, which opened in September amid much fanfare, amid falling customer numbers and mounting arrears.
It is understood retailers went at least seven weeks without receiving money from sales earlier this year.
- Man behind famous Christmas lights switch-on pleads guilty to child porn charge
- It's magic: Quidditch Premier League try-outs come to south London
- Southern rail to 'restore full train service' from Tuesday as it slams 'futile' action by RMT
- Do you watch pirate TV online? You could be about to get a scary letter from your broadband provider
- Nursery told to improve after allegation child was physically and verbally harmed by staff