Woman hospitalised after late-night cooking goes wrong in South Norwood

Albert Road. Picture: Google

Albert Road. Picture: Google

First published in News
Last updated

A 23-year-old woman has been taken to hospital with smoke inhalation following a kitchen fire caused by a pot left burning on the stove.

Firefighters were called to a ground floor flat in Albert Road in South Norwood at 3.40am today.

The occupant had apparently started cooking food in a pot in the kitchen, but had forgotten about it before heading to bed.

Steve Mewett, blue watch crew manager at Woodside fire station, said: "She woke up smelling it, and she must have panicked.

"She took the pot outside, but she had breathed in quite a lot of horrible, acrid smoke.

"We had to give her oxygen and call London Ambulance when we arrived because she was in a bit of a state."

Mr Mewett added: "Don't try and investigate what has started a fire and don't attempt to put it out.

"Call us immediately - we're there in four or five minutes with breathing apparatus. Leave it to us."

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree