Cheese on toast causes fire in home in Pawsons Road, Selhurst

Croydon Guardian: A kitchen was left with smoke damage after a toaster caught fire A kitchen was left with smoke damage after a toaster caught fire

Making cheese on toast in a toaster did not end well for a homeowner in Selhurst last night when the toaster caught fire.

Firefighters were called to the scene in Pawsons Road at about 8.30pm and when they arrived they found the toaster completely burnt out on its side.

The fire had also damaged the worktop and there was some smoke damage to the kitchen.

Crew Manager Nick Morley said: “Toasters are not designed to be put on their side and used to grill cheese on toast.

"Not only does it generate heat onto the work surface as we saw at this incident but the dry left over crumbs from the bottom of the toaster can get onto the hot elements and ignite.

“I never thought I’d have to give this advice as it’s painfully obvious but if you want cheese on toast use a grill not a toaster.”

It took the crew from Norbury fire station about 10 minutes to deal with the incident.

 

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree