Getting to grips with a tyrannosaurus rex is just a dream for many palaeontologists but in a UK first it is possible in Croydon.
An animatronic version of the dinosaur is at the Whitgift Centre as part of the Kids Dino Dig event which runs until April 19.
After being taught how to dig for fossils children can take part in a lifelike excavation before discovering many more of the prehistoric animals on a tour of the shopping centre.
The centre’s marketing executive Ian Harvey said: "Being the first shopping centre in the UK to host Kids Dino Dig is very exciting for us.
"It’s really important for children to learn and understand about life on earth millions of years ago and it’s great to see the centre go back in time and come to life with these prehistoric animals."
Go to thewhitgiftcroydon.co.uk/dinodig to pre-book a place.
- Free film festival offers programme for all tastes
- Mechanic vs developer in High Court fight for survival
- After year of dry taps and toilets Thames Water bosses quizzed about supply problems
- Knifeman hunted by police after he presses weapon against passenger's face and tries to rob him
- Police hunt flasher who 'pulled down pants and fondled himself' in front of young women on train