A care home provider has apologised after staff were secretly filmed neglecting a 98-year-old great grandmother.
Oban House care home in South Croydon was featured in a BBC Panorama investigation into the treatment of the elderly in care homes.
It showed 98-year-old Yvonne Grant, who died in January last year, crying out for help more than 320 times in just one hour.
The footage was taken in December 2012 after her granddaughter Vanessa Evans placed a hidden camera in the room.
The video also shows Ms Grant asking 45 times to be taken to the toilet over a two and a half hour period.
A Croydon Council investigation said her treatment showed neglect and institutional abuse.
Sir Richard Ottaway, MP for Croydon South, said the care minister Norman Lamb has agreed to meet him to discuss the very serious issues arising from last night’s Panorama programme.
At Urgent Questions in the House of commons this morning Sir Richard sought a meeting with Norman Lamb MP to discuss the Panorama programme which revealed the serious abuse taking place at Oban House Care Home in South Croydon in 2012.
Two members of staff at Oban House have since been convicted of common assault.
HC-One, who are in charge of Oban House, said the footage showed shocking and distressing failings and they are now launching consultation to install cameras in all of their care homes across the country.
They also said as soon as they learned of the situation they suspended then later dismissed the staff involved.
HC-One’s Chairman, Dr Chai Patel, said: “The secret filming that took place in 2012 showed shocking and distressing failings.
We do not tolerate this kind of behaviour and we remain deeply sorry to the resident and their family. As soon as we became aware of the situation we took immediate action.
“Over the last two years we have had conversations with our stakeholders and our regulator about the potential use of cameras in homes to protect the health and wellbeing of our residents. This is, and always will be, our number one priority.”
HC-One’s Head of Risk Management, Martin Lothian, said: “The secret filming from 2012 was shocking – we simply do not tolerate that type of behaviour at our homes, and we took immediate action to address those serious failings.
“Despite investing in staff training, an independent whistleblowing phone line, and independent Service Quality Inspectors, we feel that traditional methods of assessing care must be strengthened.”
Sir Richard said: “I was both shocked and appalled at the evidence presented in the programme. Oban House cares for some of our most vulnerable residents and the footage screened last night showed some extremely distressing scenes of abuse taking place.
“I am pleased that the Minister has agreed to meet me as a matter of urgency and I am keen to hear what steps the Government is taking to minimise the risk of this ever happening again.”
- More strikes planned as talks between Southern and the RMT collapse over future of conductor roles
- Croydon Central MP Gavin Barwell said to be under investigation by police after claims he broke election spending laws
- Super-sized SLUGS coming to gardens thanks to mild winter weather
- Bank Holiday engineering work to be "least disruptive" of recent years as National Rail warn passengers to check before travel
- Bank Holiday Weekend weather: enjoy the sun while it lasts as Monday is set to be a washout