Two people had to be rescued after becoming trapped by a fire in the flat below them in South Norwood last night.
The residents of the ground floor flat in Whitworth Road managed to get themselves out of the building when the blaze started at about 9.30pm.
But the people in the first and second floor flats had to be given fire survival advice by the London Fire Brigade’s control centre before firefighters arrived.
They were then led to safety by crews wearing breathing apparatus.
Both people, a man and a woman in their 40s, were checked over by London Ambulance Service staff but did not need to be taken to hospital.
Crews from Woodside, Norbury and Croydon fire stations were at the scene until about midnight.
The fire, which started in a bedroom on the bottom floor, is under investigation.
- Officers ‘extremely concerned’ for missing Croydon girl’s wellbeing
- 200 drivers a day caught using mobile phones in weeks after crackdown
- Rooftop cinema with a difference coming to Croydon this summer
- Six members of organised criminal network jailed
- Man jailed for role in fatal stabbing of teenager in Croydon