Two people had to be rescued after becoming trapped by a fire in the flat below them in South Norwood last night.
The residents of the ground floor flat in Whitworth Road managed to get themselves out of the building when the blaze started at about 9.30pm.
But the people in the first and second floor flats had to be given fire survival advice by the London Fire Brigade’s control centre before firefighters arrived.
They were then led to safety by crews wearing breathing apparatus.
Both people, a man and a woman in their 40s, were checked over by London Ambulance Service staff but did not need to be taken to hospital.
Crews from Woodside, Norbury and Croydon fire stations were at the scene until about midnight.
The fire, which started in a bedroom on the bottom floor, is under investigation.
- Help is at hand for domestic violence victims
- Newsagent in New Addington robbed at knifepoint as staff collect newspaper bundles
- Thugs guilty of community centre murder after brutally attacking father-of-two sitting quietly at computer
- Kevin Costner films scenes for Hollywood blockbuster in family-run Croydon shop
- Flood fears after £3m restaurant quarter redevelopment works