Departing Waddon councillor Clare George-Hilley lashes out at 'dumb' voters

Croydon Guardian: Clare George-Hilley Clare George-Hilley

A departing Waddon councillor has lashed out at "dumb" voters after her party lost all three seats in the ward in last week's local elections.

Conservative Clare George-Hilley, who did not stand for re-election, wrote on Facebook that she felt "very let down" by the electorate and suggested some "shouldn't be allowed to vote".

The founder of the Conservative Future Women group posted the comment after Labour ousted her party in the marginal ward in Thursday's polls and won back control of the council for the first time since 2006. 

She wrote: "Feel very let down by people we have served for 8 years. We built them a new leisure centre, spent millions improving parks & roads and they vote for the opposition.

"If people are so dumb that they don’t know the difference between a general or local election then they shouldn’t be able to vote”.

Mrs George-Hilley today elaborated on her comment, writing on a Conservative-affiliated blog: "As someone who was the first in my family to go to university, I am a great believer in social mobility and am very disappointed that the Croydon Labour party managed to win the local election locally because of a rise in support of UKIP.

"Over the last few years, the Conservatives in Croydon have helped deliver a new leisure centre for Waddon and the £1bn Westfield Hammerson regeneration scheme, whilst keeping council tax low."

She added she was "upset" that Andrew Pelling had been elected in Waddon in part because of her friendship with his ex-wife, Lucy.

Mr Pelling, former Conservative MP for Croydon Central, said: "Waddon Labour councillors will show residents respect and courtesy as we work to build a strong sense of community across the ward."

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:34am Thu 29 May 14

Crease2000 says...

Can someone pop the toys back in the pram please?
Can someone pop the toys back in the pram please? Crease2000
  • Score: 15

10:49am Thu 29 May 14

Sindianrecipes says...

The voters are not dumb. They got frustrated with the rising house prices and rents across Croydon area. The salary never increased in the past 5 years. I am thinking of moving out of Croydon to a place where I can afford.
The voters are not dumb. They got frustrated with the rising house prices and rents across Croydon area. The salary never increased in the past 5 years. I am thinking of moving out of Croydon to a place where I can afford. Sindianrecipes
  • Score: 4

12:15pm Thu 29 May 14

ummagumma says...

Typical Tory (even got a double-barreled name) who thinks that she is right and everybody else is wrong. I bet that she has never done a "proper" days work in her life. Pathetic!
Typical Tory (even got a double-barreled name) who thinks that she is right and everybody else is wrong. I bet that she has never done a "proper" days work in her life. Pathetic! ummagumma
  • Score: 0

12:36pm Thu 29 May 14

Mr Strings says...

Dear Claire + friends,

Byeeeee!
Dear Claire + friends, Byeeeee! Mr Strings
  • Score: 4

2:08pm Thu 29 May 14

Rael00 says...

May be the residents of Waddon thought they could no longer trust their Tory councillors. After their high profile promises in 2010 not to allow an incinerator, or anything similar, to be built in Croydon or on it’s borders, maybe people felt let down by the complete U-turn by all 3 councillors who voted in favour of an incinerator being built in Beddington? And you wonder why people no longer trust politicians!
May be the residents of Waddon thought they could no longer trust their Tory councillors. After their high profile promises in 2010 not to allow an incinerator, or anything similar, to be built in Croydon or on it’s borders, maybe people felt let down by the complete U-turn by all 3 councillors who voted in favour of an incinerator being built in Beddington? And you wonder why people no longer trust politicians! Rael00
  • Score: 7

10:02pm Thu 29 May 14

Mad Mick says...

Rael00 - I agree, but I think you are being too kind. The decision by the Waddon Tory Councillors to support the incinerator was not, in my view, "a complete u-turn". I believe that they intended all along to support it. Sadly for them, the electorate in Waddon have remembered that the Tories are simply liars!

Goodbye and good riddance to Claire Silley and her lying colleagues.
Rael00 - I agree, but I think you are being too kind. The decision by the Waddon Tory Councillors to support the incinerator was not, in my view, "a complete u-turn". I believe that they intended all along to support it. Sadly for them, the electorate in Waddon have remembered that the Tories are simply liars! Goodbye and good riddance to Claire Silley and her lying colleagues. Mad Mick
  • Score: 6

10:46pm Thu 29 May 14

eatmorecheese says...

What utter contempt she has for her former employers! The people of Waddon are not charity cases to be condescended to and scolded for not doing what they're told. A demonstration of the chasm between the political class and those they purport to serve. Good riddance to self-serving, parochial rubbish.
What utter contempt she has for her former employers! The people of Waddon are not charity cases to be condescended to and scolded for not doing what they're told. A demonstration of the chasm between the political class and those they purport to serve. Good riddance to self-serving, parochial rubbish. eatmorecheese
  • Score: 4

11:43am Mon 2 Jun 14

BenderTheMerciful says...

Sindianrecipes wrote:
The voters are not dumb. They got frustrated with the rising house prices and rents across Croydon area. The salary never increased in the past 5 years. I am thinking of moving out of Croydon to a place where I can afford.
@Sindianrecipes Not sure how a Waddon councillor can be blamed for house prices rising across Croydon and London? The fact your salary was not increased over 5 years leads me to believe that a. you may be on benefit, or b. you don't work hard enough or c. you are not good at your job, either way it is neither here not there to your argument but does highlight how right she was about some voters.

Thanks for visiting Croydon. Please don't come again.
[quote][p][bold]Sindianrecipes[/bold] wrote: The voters are not dumb. They got frustrated with the rising house prices and rents across Croydon area. The salary never increased in the past 5 years. I am thinking of moving out of Croydon to a place where I can afford.[/p][/quote]@Sindianrecipes Not sure how a Waddon councillor can be blamed for house prices rising across Croydon and London? The fact your salary was not increased over 5 years leads me to believe that a. you may be on benefit, or b. you don't work hard enough or c. you are not good at your job, either way it is neither here not there to your argument but does highlight how right she was about some voters. Thanks for visiting Croydon. Please don't come again. BenderTheMerciful
  • Score: -6

3:07pm Mon 2 Jun 14

Sindianrecipes says...

BenderTheMerciful wrote:
Sindianrecipes wrote:
The voters are not dumb. They got frustrated with the rising house prices and rents across Croydon area. The salary never increased in the past 5 years. I am thinking of moving out of Croydon to a place where I can afford.
@Sindianrecipes Not sure how a Waddon councillor can be blamed for house prices rising across Croydon and London? The fact your salary was not increased over 5 years leads me to believe that a. you may be on benefit, or b. you don't work hard enough or c. you are not good at your job, either way it is neither here not there to your argument but does highlight how right she was about some voters.

Thanks for visiting Croydon. Please don't come again.
Croydon belongs to the hard working Labour Class people and will remain the same forever...Good Bye Capitalists!
[quote][p][bold]BenderTheMerciful[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sindianrecipes[/bold] wrote: The voters are not dumb. They got frustrated with the rising house prices and rents across Croydon area. The salary never increased in the past 5 years. I am thinking of moving out of Croydon to a place where I can afford.[/p][/quote]@Sindianrecipes Not sure how a Waddon councillor can be blamed for house prices rising across Croydon and London? The fact your salary was not increased over 5 years leads me to believe that a. you may be on benefit, or b. you don't work hard enough or c. you are not good at your job, either way it is neither here not there to your argument but does highlight how right she was about some voters. Thanks for visiting Croydon. Please don't come again.[/p][/quote]Croydon belongs to the hard working Labour Class people and will remain the same forever...Good Bye Capitalists! Sindianrecipes
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree