Stoners played catch with raver's severed finger at sorting office rave in East Croydon
Ravers played catch with a boy’s finger which got ripped off during the rave in the old sorting office in Croydon.
But the teenager who lost his little finger was determined to ‘skank it out’ for as long as possible before seeking medical help early on Sunday morning.
The incident happened when the youth involved, Josh, and some of his friends were in the house room at the rave in Cherry Orchard Lane when the fire alarm went off at about 1am.
With encouragement from other revellers shouting “Rip it off. Rip it off”, Josh, who said he was sober at the time, went to tear the alarm from the wall.
But his little finger got caught in the case as it was broken and his little finger got ripped off completely.
Talking to Vice.com in an extraordinary interview he said: “I looked at my hand and my little finger was gone – the bone was sticking out.
“It’s the weirdest feeling; one second you’re fine and your little finger is there, and the next second it’s gone.
“It shoves reality up your backside.
“My finger pinged off into the crowd.
“I got told later that a bunch of stoners found my little finger and were playing catch with it.”
He added: “I was in so much pain and shock that the first thing that hit my head was the beat and the bass.
“The bass was hard, so I just ripped off my top, wrapped it around my finger and tied it up as tight as I could and skanked it out for half an hour.
“My mentality was, 'I’ve only been here for an hour, I’ve paid £10 for this night, I’ve lost my little finger – am I seriously going to go?
“Nah, I’m going to skank until I can’t skank any more.'
“After that, my mate dragged me down to the paramedics.”
At the paramedics Josh was hopeful the finger could be bandaged up so he could ‘rave on’ but the paramedic said he had to go to hospital.
Despite losing his finger Josh is not getting downhearted about it and is instead sending his condolences to everyone who knew Rio Andrew – the 15-year-old who died after falling ill at the rave He said: “[My finger has] just gone, innit.
“I’ve just got a little stump left. What can I do?
“The person in the ambulance asked me, ‘What are you going to do, mate?’ I was just like, ‘Shit happens.’ “It’s nothing, really – I’ve lost one little finger, while a 15-year-old boy has lost his life.
“What am I complaining about? My heart goes out to his friends and family. It’s heartbreaking.”
Comments are closed on this article.