Brothers who caused a terrified man to leap from a window to his death to escape the beating they were giving him after wrongly accusing him of stealing a mobile phone are on the run.

A manhunt is underway to track down Valodia Tarasov, 35, and Jurius Tarasov, 33, who failed to turn up for sentencing for manslaughter at the Old Bailey this morning.

Their brother Viktoras Tarasov, 39, of Aurelia Road, Croydon, attended court and has been remanded in custody to be sentenced on a date yet to be confirmed.

All three of them had denied killing 37-year-old Pawel Pacholak but were found guilty yesterday after the jury concluded they were responsible for his death despite not inflicting the fatal injuries.

Anyone who has seen the two brothers is asked to call 999.

Croydon Guardian:

Croydon Guardian: Jurius Tarasov

Mr Pacholak leapt from a bathroom window, breaking his neck, as he fled the three brothers on January 12 last year.

He suffered multiple serious injuries, including to his head, face and torso, and broke 11 ribs, either in the fall at the flat in Streatham or during the attack.

During the trial the court heard Mr Pacholak had been staying at a friend's house in Streatham High Street with several other people including Viktoras.

The occupants had been drinking throughout the day of the killing before Valodia, of Abingdon Road, and his brother Jurius arrived at about 10pm.

A confrontation broke out when the three brothers claimed Mr Pacholak had stolen Jurius's missing phone, which had in fact been lost earlier that evening.

The argument spilled onto the streets at 10.56pm before reigniting between midnight and 1.30am, during which time a loud noise was heard at the rear of the building, where a neighbour saw an apparently drunken man staggering before collapsing on the patio.

Mr Pacholak was found dead, slumped against a wall in Albert Carr Gardens, at 11.50am on January 13.

His body bore clear signs of an assault and police found "extensive" blood stains with in the house that occupants had attempted to clean up, while the first officers on the scene also saw Viktoras throwing red water out the back door.

He claimed it contained blood from meat.

Detectives determined Mr Pacholak had taken refuge in an upstairs bathroom and tried to escape by jumping out the window, unknown to the other occupants.

He landed face down and collapsed soon after.

The brothers were arrested days later and subsequently charged with manslaughter and perverting the course of justice for trying to clean the blood and giving false alibis in police interview.