A testicular cancer patient recuperating after an operation was forced to walk miles to avoid being locked in a park overnight after watching a warden seal his exit before his eyes.

Frazer Scott was overjoyed to be feeling well enough to take his dog to the park for the first time since an operation to remove one of his testicles three weeks ago.

But this joy turned to anger when the testicular cancer sufferer was ‘locked in’ South Norwood Lake and Grounds park by an "extremely aggressive" park ranger and a five minute walk home turned into a 45 minute trek.

He checked the time of closing when he entered the park with his friend at 7.50pm and Jack Russell Albie on Saturday and made sure they were on their way out at 8.20pm, 10 minutes before closing time.

Mr Scott, 26, said: "As I am still in some pain from the operation, I had some difficulty keeping up with the ranger and, unfortunately, my friend and I reached the gate just as he was closing it.

"Upon seeing us, the ranger asked us ‘what is your problem?’ at which we were somewhat taken aback.

"He seemed to think that we had dragged our heels, delaying him from going home, after hearing him yell to us.

"I explained that I can't walk quickly and that I have cancer but we were sorry that we had taken so long.

"The ranger walked away from us, not giving us any information as to how to leave the park, muttering that gates close 30 minutes before the close of the park."

Mr Scott and his friend eventually got out of the park through an unlocked gate at the other end as he said the ranger would not reopen the gate nearest his house in Sylvan Road.

The opera singer added: "What if I had been an elderly person, on my own, with the nights drawing in, forced to walk a long way home.

"I would like the council to say that further training has been provided for this guy and for them to make it clear what has been done.

"I’m desperate that this doesn’t happen to anyone else."

A Croydon Council spokesman said: ""We have spoken with Mr Scott to apologise unreservedly for this incident.

"The ranger in question is being called in for a formal interview and at the very least will be sent for  customer care training.

"We will also review the wording of signage to ensure people are clear about when gates are closed."