CROYDON RIOTS THREE YEARS ON: £3.2m for restoration in London Road area of Croydon

This building in London Road was badly damaged but has now been completely restored

This building in London Road was badly damaged but has now been completely restored

First published in News
Last updated
Croydon Guardian: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Reporter

£3.2m is set to be spent to improve London Road.

Some works have already taken place in the past three years, but there is more work to be done.

Almost £600,000 will be spent helping 40 businesses to clean and repaint, create new shop fronts, signs, awnings and security shutters, and restoring historic features such as pilasters.

Work will start in Broad Green this month and is expected to finish by West Croydon station next spring.

Owners and occupiers of the premises selected for improvements will receive 90 per cent funding towards the costs and will be expected to find the other 10 per cent.

Pavements will be widened and repaved and there will be new benches and parking places for bicycles.

The street improvements will begin by West Croydon station towards the end of this month and finish by the Broad Green end by next summer.

The cabinet member for economic development Councillor Toni Letts said: “If we create inviting public spaces where people feel safe to shop and spend their leisure time we will change Croydon's image and bring in even more much-needed investment.”

The project is part of the Connected Croydon programme which will see more than £50m spent on borough improvements.

It is managed by Croydon Council, with support from Transport for London and an £18m contribution from the Mayor of London.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:11pm Thu 14 Aug 14

Pawel_Si says...

They should create more parking spaces and ban parking on London Road, because sometimes going two stops by bus can take up to 30 minutes, which is ridiculous. Someone in charge of roads in Croydon needs to examine his head.
They should create more parking spaces and ban parking on London Road, because sometimes going two stops by bus can take up to 30 minutes, which is ridiculous. Someone in charge of roads in Croydon needs to examine his head. Pawel_Si
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree