Eight people were evacuated from a street in Croydon this week amid fears gas cylinders might explode after a fire broke out.

The London Fire Brigade were called to a home in Tankerton Terrace at 11:58pm on Wednesday to reports of a fire.

The fire damaged the ground floor of the mid-terraced house and one man, who left the property before LFB arrived, was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service as a precaution. Two cylinders were involved in the fire and eight people were evacuated from neighbouring properties because some cylinders can explode when they are exposed to heat.

It is believed that the fire was caused due to a leak in the join between one of the cylinders and a camping stove, which was being used to cook food inside the house.

Watch Manager Mark England from Norbury fire station said: “This fire is a stark reminder that you should never use portable camping equipment indoors.

"The consequences, as shown by this incident, can be disastrous.

"The fire caused serious damage to the property and could have caused serious injury to people inside.”