Shop worker escapes uninjured after lit firework is pushed through letterbox
9:00am Wednesday 26th September 2012 in News
A shop worker was lucky to escape uninjured when a lit firework was pushed through the letterbox.
Police and firefighters were called to the mini market in Croydon on Thornton Road, at the junction with Boston Road, at about 9.54pm last night.
The large display firework went off causing lots of smoke damage, but luckily no fire damage was caused to either the shop or the flat above.
It is believed the shop assistant threw water over the firework before leaving the store and alerting a woman and a child living in the flat above.
The crew spent around half an hour at the scene ventilating the shop and ensuring no fires had started.
Police are investigating the incident.
A spokesman said: "A male suspect is believed to have thrown a lit firework inside the shop before making off.
"The suspect is described as an Asian male, wearing a grey hooded top and dark trousers.
"Anyone with information should contact Croydon police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111."
No arrests have been made and enquiries continue.